Factory Fresh MGB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Janner

MB Enthusiast
Car
R231 SL350 in Obsidian Black
Who would have thought, a 1980 and 114 miles

Complete with the big ugly bumpers for the American market.

The mother of a friend had one (convertible) in the eighties... I helped him maintain it. It had a 1.8L engine iirc.

The one to beat was obviously the older MGB with the Rover V8 engine...

The mother of a friend had one (convertible) in the eighties... I helped him maintain it. It had a 1.8L engine iirc.

I thought the V8 was an MGC, I could be wrong.they didn't handle as well as the B

Three mgb's were sold at auction, shipped over from Ireland,they still had the factory was paint protection .I saw them on a tv documentary series called bangers and cash.This car could possibly be one of those.

In the 80s I had a '67 Teal Blue GT. It had a (rare) automatic gearbox. After the initial excitement wore off, I grew to hate it. What a POS.

In the 80s I had a '67 Teal Blue GT. It had a (rare) automatic gearbox. After the initial excitement wore off, I grew to hate it. What a POS.
A friend of mine ,cerca 1968 had a gt he simonized it every week!,he part ext it for a alpha spider .

I thought the V8 was an MGC, I could be wrong.they didn't handle as well as the B
MGC was a 6 cylinder.
They did make a V8 MGB but I’m not sure if the did a V8 roadster. The one to have though was a V8 Costello.

To be fair, mine was a gift (it wasn't worth a fortune) - it had been brought from the UK to SA and had a lot of rust. My wife and I had toured England in it back in 1980 and I really loved it. The owner was moving back to SA and the company was paying for the move so she stuck the MG in a container for me.

It had the usual rust problems, leaked oil like a sieve. Had an elecrical short somewhere so that the batteries were always flat (2x 6V under the rear seat and a pain to jump start) and I didn't really use it much and it was as slow as anything with the automatic gearbox.

I eventually sold it to start a buisiness which made me money so in teh end, the car served me well.

For most of the 90s I had a beautiful ‘68 Roadster with an even rarer automatic box. I was reluctant to part with it but I needed the money and garage space. At least I achieved ten years of ownership with only once driving it with the hood up. Even when I delivered it to the buyer on the other side of London I drove it all the way (up the M3, round the M25 and deep into Essex) with the top down - in January, with snow on the ground!
FC9C5EEA-F54D-41ED-B180-FFD4C5177CE7.jpeg

not quite

The MGC was 6 cylinder and intended as a rival to the Austin Healey 3000

The first V8s were created by a separate" after market" conversion by Costello; only later did BMC / BL catch on although they only produced a GT V8, not a roadster.
Ironically the V8 was no heavier than the stock 4 pot so handling wasn't compromised...

Amazing. Shame its the ugly rubber bumper car with the deck chair interior. I actually own an MGC roadster in red which I hardly use at all. Very underated cruiser imo but the Costello V8 roadster was the one to have . Always lusted after them as a kid until I went in a 911

In the 1960's there was an outfit in Green St Green (near Orpington, Kent) that shoehorned V8's into MGB's. Out of the blue BL said they would not supply any more V8 engines to them - and shortly thereafter they started producing and selling the MGB V8!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom