Faded rear shelf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
What's the best way to put colour back into a faded rear shelf in a 06 E-Class saloon?

They had a trick on Wheeler Dealers of spray painting it. I would Google first as it sounds a bit risky, but at least on telly it did the trick.

Presumably matt paint or something.

S

Painting from a rattle can will work (I did this on my Pajero) but it does leave a brittle/bristly finish. You could try brushing on some Fablon fabric dye.

If painting from a rattle can then hold the can back about 18 inches and give it a blow over rather than a full on paint as you don't want thick paint.

They had a trick on Wheeler Dealers of spray painting it. I would Google first as it sounds a bit risky, but at least on telly it did the trick.

Presumably matt paint or something.

S

I remember seeing that - just wondering, as I can't remove it (at least not easily - as far as I'm aware) how risky ain't might be, what with headlining, leather, glass, etc... all in close proximity? I guess, there'd be a need for lots of masking off first.

Talking of fading, when I took my car to a dealership the other day, they were puzzled as to the wood trim. They thought it wasn't dark enough for the usual bird's eye maple found in an Avantgarde. Considering the cracks in the lacquer finish of the cubby hole in front of the centre rest, I'm wondering how likely it might be that the car has been stood in bright sunlight and this has faded the wood? Is it possible for the wood to fade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom