Failed MOT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uncle Fester

Car
C220 CDi (S203) auto 175k
Hi guys, car failed MOT on steering arm, so need one fitting asap.
Can source one from here

Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK

Can one of you Tech guys tell me if changing this affects the tracking, or the caster/camber?

Or can someone recommend an indie in the Stevenage/Hertford area?

Thanks in advance.

If that's the arm(in the link) that you are fitting you can see that at the bush end the mounting hole is slotted to allow for adjustment so yes your caster/camber/track will need re-setting

Thanks Henry, I think the adjustment is caster/camber rather than toe in/out, and im not sure the average "kwikfit" type will have the equipment/knowledge to do the job correctly.
If i did the job myself, and replaced the part exactly as the old one came out, then surely it would be good enough to drive to someone who could check the caster/camber?

Is this the kind of job you can do at home?
I changed the rear springs and shocks earlier this year, so i'm not a complete dunce with a spanner :bannana:

It will need re-setting if it has an adjustment bolt fitted (slots in the bolt shank). If it does not have the slotted bolt it won't need to have a wheel alignment.

Last edited:
Thanks Olly, I've just had a call back from a local Indie (Stevenage) with a good price, and it's booked in on monday, so hopeflly that will be a step forward.

Stay away with tracking jobs from kwik-fit. Sorry to say that but what they do is waste of time. If you want to do it properly then do proper 4 wheel alignment. There is perfect place not that far from you but you cant go wrong with them - wheel in motion. Perfect place for Merc alignment.

Thanks, I'll google them and keep them in mind, the tracking was checked/adjusted last MOT after the front springs were replaced, and it's been fine since then (even trye wear on the front), but it's only done about 10k miles between MOT's

I live in Ware and made the short run over to Wheels In Motion to get rid of the 'left pull' that drove me mad. They did a proper, full on alignment and the car is a dream to drive. Well worth making the effort to get over there mate.

Update

Well, I dropped the car into A1 Merx (also A1 BMW) in stevenage, and they replaced the steering arm, and did the tracking as he said it was 20 degrees out once the arm had been replaced.:eek:

He said the tracking had probably been adjusted at a time when there was too much play in the bushes.

I had the tracking done when the spring on that side was replaced on the last MOT (Oct 2010), but the faulty arm was not noticed by the examiner, although I must assume that it was faulty at that time.:doh:

On a side note, I have had quite severe wheel wobble when breaking had at speed (like on the M25) that I had assumed was warped discs (although they are not badly worn)
That symptom seems to have stangley dissapeared , now that the arm has been replaced.........:doh:

So I have a couple more issues that need to be dealt with, so I'll let A1 Merx have a look and see what they can do for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom