Failed MOT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tezz

Car
A180 w169 2006 2.0 cdi
Car failed on front inner off side CV boot, is this hard to replace ? iv got a free retest upto 10 days, part seams cheap is it a diy job or garage only

Many Thanks

Tezz

Car failed on front inner off side CV boot, is this hard to replace ? iv got a free retest upto 10 days, part seams cheap is it a diy job or garage only

Best to get the garage to do it if you are not sure.

Could you not have asked them to just fix it at the time and re-test?

yes I could for £200, not working now and only use car twice a month for hospital run for family member, I don't actually need a car, if was easy fix I would have a go

I serviced car bit by bit and thought I got all issues, missed the crack on inner CV joint.

After a year of ownership, is a good little car once you accept electrical issues, battery and water ingress, to service was all fairly straight forward

Tezz

£200 for a CV boot sounds quite a lot.
May be a bit of work getting the driveshaft out to do this though.

I looked at paper work and jacked up car, MOT says fail on windscreen wipers and OUTER CV BOOT that's whats listed on Gov web site, wipers I agree ordered new set, looked at boot and cant see any damage on outer, MOT fail says outer OFside outer on paper work, but when I collected mech assumed I would have fixed, I did not have fixed , said actually its inside OFF side boot not what's on paper work?

so if I take for a retest will they check outer as listed on fail or inner ?

all sounds a bit iffie to me

Thanks

As usual, I had our car serviced and then MOT'd by our main dealer. The car PASSED the MOT but had a number of advisories:

• fluid coming out from under o/s undertray suspect brake fluid Dangerous
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Rear Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))
I was not happy about the car passing the MOT with the technician putting a huge 'Dangerous' Marking' on an advisory!! I felt something was not right and sent the car for an independent examination.

First, the so called fluid leak was just a few drops of oil on the undertray, caused by topping up the brake system when fluid was added... NO OIL LEAK and NO DANGER

In the words of the examining technician, the brake pipes although 15yrs of age, still had the original paint on them plus the part numbers were clearly visible. NO signs of ANY corrosion.

I was NOT a happy bunny and by pure coincidence, I got a review request from the main dealer asking for my opinion on the service I received. I am guessing my review might still be on their site but as a direct result of that review, the service manager contacted me and asked if I was happy to discuss why I wrote such a review.

Following on from this conversation, our car was collected from our home address, a courtesy car left for our use and off our car went to have yet another examination.

Later that day I had a very apologetic phone call from the service manager, who stated my car had been examined for the MOT by 'an over-exuberant' young technician!!!

My car would be valeted both inside and out, plus they would put some fuel in the vehicle.... They did offer to re-MOT the car but what was done was done and what was said, was said.

Our car is still serviced by this main dealer as we have no choice if we want the Mobilo cover, but any extra work will first get a second opinion as I do not trust that department

Here is something you may need to think about with MOT's. Last year I booked the car in for service and MOT with the dealer collecting the car in the morning. Late afternoon was informed MOT failure due to cut in one tyre, so they could not deliver it back as "unroadworthy". The price they wanted for the tyre (which they didn't have in stock) was way to much, but by factoring in the cost of me getting to the dealer to collect the car meant that I really had little choice. Although in the end they did do a price match. The message is, if you arrange collection and delivery, you could well end up in the same position.

That's why I get MOT and service at same time, you don't get MOT failures.
You do get failures on MOT. I left car for service and MoT. Garage and MoT station next door. Failed MoT on drop links, recorded online as fail, then after replacement a pass.

I had the car at a garage and asked them to MOT it for me while they had it - the MOT station was next door to them.

When I came to collect the car they were quite embarrassed, the car failed on main beam (blown bulb), and the MOT tester returned it with two papers - a fail and a pass - and told the garage that he trusted them to change the bulb and there's no need to have the car retested or bring it back.... :doh:

MOT testers are supposed to record failures regardless of if the failed part is to be replaced by the same garage.

Some seem to think having a vehicle with a zero failure record somehow enhances the value. All cars etc will need replacement parts at some combination of age and mileage and a fail followed by a pass should give a degree of confidence that a proper examination was performed and appropriate action is taken.

MOT testers are supposed to record failures regardless of if the failed part is to be replaced by the same garage.

Some seem to think having a vehicle with a zero failure record somehow enhances the value. All cars etc will need replacement parts t some combination of age and mileage and a fail followed by a pass should give a degree of confidence that a proper examination was performed and appropriate action is taken.

It's obviously relevant why the car failed. Windscreen wipers, tyres, blown bulbs are one thing, but a car that fails every year due to different suspension components failing of severe oil leaks is another matter.

It's obviously relevant why the car failed. Windscreen wipers, tyres, blown bulbs are one thing, but a car that fails every year due to different suspension components failing of severe oil leaks is another matter
If looking at a used car I wish to know what has been replaced so I can plan for what has not.

Also, a car that regularly fails on worn tyres and worn brakes suggests a lack of overall care by the owner.

....or continually failing for corrosion

....or continually failing for corrosion
Any vehicle that has required structural repair for corrosion would be dismissed by me as a potential purchase.

The advent of MOT history etc being available on-line is a very powerful tool for a buyer. I am amazed at how many sellers (Trade or otherwise)seem to forget the prospective buyers have this information available to them.

What s the reg ?

Service covers drive shaft boots and brake pipes ? Or are you saying your service is like a pre mot . Anything found is fixed first before mot ...

If you get a MOT after servicing your car the garage is not a proper job, look for another garage.

If you get a MOT after servicing your car the garage is not a proper job, look for another garage.
That does not make sense.

Do you mean if you mean that if you get an MOT fail after having your car serviced the garage is not carrying out a service correctly?

If so then that is also untrue. If you book in your car for a service then that is what you should get,, also garages that carry out servicing do not all carry out an MOT. A car service is an inspection and change of specified components consistent with the manufacturer's schedule for age and mileage.

The MOT insepcts and checks safety-related items ( such as brake balance, parking brake efficiency etc) that a lot of garages without MOT testing facilities would be unable to check but these are still separate from a service.

We have a garage local to us that does MOTs.
They don't have an MOT bay or tester and take to the place round the corner for the MOT.

When I see people that have had a car in for a Service/MOT have failures for things like tyres, bulbs etc. it gets on my goat.
The "servicing" garage clearly don't check anything and only react to issues found by the tester.

Used them once many moons ago, never again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom