Failing forced regeneration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pjay611

Car
Vito tourer
Hi all, and happy new year. My first post on this platform.

I have a 2017 diesel Vito tourer. I’m having problems doing a forced regen on it. Gets half half way through then suddenly it stops. I’ve taken this problem to Mercedes’ and they’ve had no joy and have drawn a blank. All attempts have been on the Star/xentry.

Btw The DPF is not blocked.

From my understanding, the dpf isn’t getting hot enough to regen. Has anyone else had this painful issue?

Many thanks to you all.

Have you tried the temp sensors as they measure the temp and tell the car if at least that parameter is met to do a regen.

Is the engine oil temperature above 70c you attempt regeneration?

Have you tried the temp sensors as they measure the temp and tell the car if at least that parameter is met to do a regen.
Having read some of the posts on here, temp Sensors did cross my mind. It was also not mentioned by my indi or Merc collindale. Is this something that would come up on the diag?

I’m pretty sure it was above 70 supernoodle.

I’ve also noticed my adblue levels have hardly moved in the last few months. Could this Contribute to the regen problem?

I’m pretty sure it was above 70 supernoodle.

I’ve also noticed my adblue levels have hardly moved in the last few months. Could this Contribute to the regen problem?
Last time i forced regen with the icarsoft, it was an alchemy of temperature being between 35C and 75C, keeping the switch to position 2 for a while and then starting the motor for several minutes, then driving around the block at a steady speed <40mph but not in traffic as the car needs to keep running.
I also had the problem that the oil temperature was always showing very low. Steve at Klasse did something to it - I never asked what - and it was fixed with no need to change anything.
The only thing that was preventing the car from doing a regen cycle on its own was a faulty DPF sensor that insisted the DPF was super-clogged.

Good morning Riva, many thanks for getting back to me. I will take note of things pointers and pass them on my my indi. I’ve also noticed my adblue has not gone down since last year. Been so long it didn’t even cross my mind to check. Could this also be contributing to the failed regens?

One more thing, I found when I drive the motorway and exit. My engine is revving high, gear change only possible at 3000+ revs. I’m pretty sure that my vito is trying to regen?

Thanks for your time

Btw where is this Steve from? Is Klasse the one in Fulham London?

if tis revving high then yes its trying to regen but you might not be giving it enough time after you exit the motorway or it might be cancelling as the conditions are not met for whatever reason. Not sure about the adblue being an issue - probably is. Forcing regeneration with the icarsoft was relatively easy.
Yeah Klasse of Fulham, Steve and his team are great, I had a lot of work done with them on the CL500 and E220 and some repair work on my dads GLE500e.

The first part of the regen is normally to raise the exhaust temps. If regen doesnt happen it could be that it never sees the correct temp to start, it's waiting for them to reach target.
That could explain the no Adblue usage too. SCR brick needs to be up to temp before that's injected too.
It is possible that there is an in range failure of one or other sensor.
Monitor the exhaust temps.

Don't know if Mercs use them, but often there is an exotherm cat before the sDPF that helps increase the exhaust temps. Usually in the same can as the sDPF so not always obvious. They can be a problem on real high mileage vehicles. Again monitor exhaust temps.

Thank you for your replies gents. I’m booked next week with my local Indi. I shall forward your thoughts on my problem, hopefully they take it on board. Pain in the **** these German cars.

@Riva which icarsoft did you use for yours?

Have a great weekend

Thank you for your replies gents. I’m booked next week with my local Indy. I will keep you guys posted. I will also forward your thoughts on my problem, hopefully they take it on board.

Just an update on my regen situation. I have found out that the garage who replaced my two nox sensors last year in February, didn’t replace them and remapped my ecu without asking. Pocketed the money and deleted the adblue malfunction warning, Sent all the parameters all over the place. Hence the adblue levels hadn’t gone down since topping it up last year and also reason regens were aborted with each attempt. Anyway, Updated the ECU, replaced the nox sensors and had the SCR coding done. And now all is well. I’m speaking to trading standards to built a case against this garage. I’m fuming on learning this. 😡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom