Fails to start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolfie9026

Car
C class coupe 250cdi
Ok here goes a long story …..

My 2011 C Class coupe has not done a lot in the last 18 months and hadn’t turned a wheel for the last 2 months , I tried to start it but it wouldn’t so presumed it was the battery , got a new battery from Halfords ( not as powerful as the original but the one stated on their in store tablet) but it still failed to start , then on the umteenth attemp it started …. Brilliant I thought , then it seemed to be ok for a couple of days , then it started taking a few attempts to start , so I thought I’d take it on a run to see how it went , I stopped at a Petrol station for a brew and when I tried to start it nothing , everything worked apart from the engine starting and I also has the warning about the ABS and traction control inoperative. Then after 2 1/2 hours it decided to start , so drove straight to a local Indy and left it there , they had it for a couple of days , ran the diagnostic and the only fault was a front ABS sensor , replaced said sensor , tightened up the battery connections . Picked it up on Friday and gave it to my Son to go on a trip on Saturday and 20 miles in he stopped and guess what …. Yep wouldn’t start! However it decided after a few attempts to spring into life and it has been the same on Sunday …. When he has just arrived home I tried it and it started first time but is now refusing …. So has anyone got any ideas as I cannot believe that the ABS system would stop it starting

The engine refusing to start when hot, but starts when its cooled down often points to the CPS (crank position sensor) failing.
It will get worse, so take it to a Mercedes indy preferably and have the car checked over.
If it is the CPS, its around a £200 job to fix.

I would also put the battery on charge, even though its a new one. Multiple attempts to start the car and low voltage seem to give Mercedes plenty of problems, often cured with a fully charged battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom