Faint mileage readout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

para alpha

Car
C180 ESPRIT (w202)
Noticed it this morning, The mileage readout is very faint anyone have any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

I'm not sure if ita bulb that needs repalcing - most likely culprit would be a "dry" connection that hasnt established full contact. You may have to get the cluster out and physically push all connectors home to make sure they're all in. another possibility is an earth leakage if one of the ribbons has abraded and is earthing somewhere

I'm not sure if ita bulb that needs repalcing - most likely culprit would be a "dry" connection that hasnt established full contact. You may have to get the cluster out and physically push all connectors home to make sure they're all in. another possibility is an earth leakage if one of the ribbons has abraded and is earthing somewhere
I have just ordered the hook pullers this afternoon. So as soon as they turn up I'll pull out the cluster. It's a good time to do it as I need to replace the indicator stalk, the intermittent screen wipe has long since died. I have a spare one so that job will be quick. it is recommended to crack the cap on the steering column with the steering lock on? I know on some cars if you do that it snaps the steering lock?

Well Saturday was a real hoot! I decided to do some work on the car. As previously mentioned, the car was suffering dim mileage readout. I also knew the indicator stalk needed to be sorted because of the intermittent part of the wiper switch decided it no longer wanted to work. I knew these two operations required me to remove the steering wheel.
After disconnecting the battery I tried to remove the two torx screws that holds the Airbag module to the Steering wheel. Now The Haynes manual doesn’t tell you what size they are so I had to guess. It was a real PITA. It was like playing snooker with a rope. I eventually located the heads and removed them both and disconnected the electrics.

Now the bit I’m nervous about, removing the large hex bolt holding the Wheel to the column. I didn’t want to put too much pressure on the steering lock. I did this before on a mate’s car and bust the steering lock. Anyhow, I tried to use a standard ratchet to remove it with no luck. So I tried to use my cordless impact wrench. That didn’t even move it. The Impact wrench is 390Nm so should have span it off no bother as according to Haynes it’s only done to 80Nm. It still refused to move? So I used a 10” breaker bar and 4ft of Scaffolding pole, it soon gave up with out any damage to the steering lock. I gave the wheel a tap and pulled off the Steering wheel and there is cassette that locates to the back of the wheel. This bloody thing exploded; I was left with a load of ribbon cable about 6ft long hanging out of it. I reeled it back into the cassette and worked out how it was supposed to work.

The rest was uneventful until I checked the bulbs in the back of the instrument cluster. I found about 6 dead bulbs, some 1.2w (Blue) and some 2w (Light Green). So I set out to the local motor factors and the local Halfrauds to find some replacement bulbs. By the time I had been to 3 motor factors and Halfrauds it was 5PM no one stocked them, Its a stealership job. But the parts dept. aren’t open after 12pm on a Saturday? So after some research on here, if found they were about £3 each at MB so I thought, Sod than and there was also a link Autobulbs Direct. Ordered them Saturday evening and hopefully they will be here later (Tuesday) so I can get my car back on the road… I usually take my daughter out for a drive for an hour to settle her down. But I can’t because the car is still in bits… Earlier, she was creating holy hell. I swear she is suffering from car withdrawal symptoms, I know I am…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom