Faith in human nature maintained.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Went into Preston today and managed to lose my wallet. About £60 plus usual assortment of card and driving licence etc.

Cancelled the cards then 30 mins later got a call from bank had called to say that Fishergate Shopping Centre had my wallet!!! Appears I dropped it paying at the car park machine and some good soul found it when paying himself then took the trouble to walk all the way back into the shopping centre (not a short walk) and hand it in with nothing missing!

Thanks mystery man! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I get people leaving all sorts at my work, I remember one time a young lady left her phone, I rang the last dialed number to tell them where it was and received so much abuse from the guy who answered I hung up.

Yesterday I nipped into town at lunchtime. Returning to the carpark pay station there was an apparently homeless man sitting on the floor.
People at the pay machine ignored him, so I went to very and asked if he was really homeless, to which he responded that he was...so I asked him where his dog and cardboard sign was...to which he laughed.
Apparently the Council hostel is full at Christmas and he wants money to stay somewhere.
He seemed a decent chap, not high on drugs or drunk.

I gave him £2, then so did the next two people in the queue.

How much do people think I should have given?

Professional begging makes it hard to separate the bad from the needy these days.

Dieselman said:
Yesterday I nipped into town at lunchtime. Returning to the carpark pay station there was an apparently homeless man sitting on the floor. People at the pay machine ignored him, so I went to very and asked if he was really homeless, to which he responded that he was...so I asked him where his dog and cardboard sign was...to which he laughed. Apparently the Council hostel is full at Christmas and he wants money to stay somewhere. He seemed a decent chap, not high on drugs or drunk. I gave him £2, then so did the next two people in the queue. How much do people think I should have given?

No 'set' amount for me .... a few quid is pretty generous. The friendly word and good humour would be worth a lot too as it's very easy to forget that the homeless are as much a part of a community/society as us more fortunate with an address. It's the 'disconnect' that causes the suffering.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Yesterday I nipped into town at lunchtime. Returning to the carpark pay station there was an apparently homeless man sitting on the floor.
People at the pay machine ignored him, so I went to very and asked if he was really homeless, to which he responded that he was...so I asked him where his dog and cardboard sign was...to which he laughed.
Apparently the Council hostel is full at Christmas and he wants money to stay somewhere.
He seemed a decent chap, not high on drugs or drunk.

I gave him £2, then so did the next two people in the queue.

How much do people think I should have given?

We have a big issue seller who has a regular stand outside our local co-op. He's a nice chap, always sober. And a car nut too. I always give him a £2 coin and he always says god bless. I guess at this time of year I should give him a little more.

But I never take a copy of the Big Issue !!

In the pub a few weeks ago, sat down and the wife immediately found a wallet that was rather fat with cash notes so we handed it in to the bar staff. I think honesty like this comes naturally to a lot more people than some sources would appear to admit.

PS should I have bought a round if drinks first with the money as I'm sure the owner wouldn't have minded?

In the pub a few weeks ago, sat down and the wife immediately found a wallet that was rather fat with cash notes so we handed it in to the bar staff. I think honesty like this comes naturally to a lot more people than some sources would appear to admit.

PS should I have bought a round if drinks first with the money as I'm sure the owner wouldn't have minded?

Once, somebody found my wallet I dropped in a hotel breakfast room when on holiday.
I stopped all my cards, never saw the wallet again and they spent over £1000 before I got back to England.

Never offered me a drink...

I did something a little out of character this week.

Queuing at the Severn bridge at the cash bucket/debit card/unmanned line, all going well until a slightly scruffy car gets to the barrier.

After a few minutes he is pressing the button for assistance and I, plus the rest of the queue, are getting restless.

Its nearly Christmas and I've been travelling a lot with work so its fair to say that I'm less than patient with this, I lean out of the window and see that he's £1 short.

I have a quid so I run to the front, chuck the coin in and the barrier goes up, we're off!

Modestly accept a round of applause from the dozen or so cars in the queue. :eek:

I found a wallet in a phone box on Oxford Street years ago. I was flat bloke at the time & could have done with a few quid and it was stuffed full. After much soul-searching & deliberation, I took it round the corner to the police station and handed it in - the desk sergeant counted it all out in front of me and there was £3,800 worth of different currencies, gold credit cards and a few foreign ID cards. Turned out it belonged to a visiting Greek civil servant.

There was a ticket tout in the station waiting to be 'processed' - I knew him from my days at a nearby venue where I'd worked. He kept saying 'Fark Me mister 'Aines....you're a farkin' Mug you are & no mistake...." and the Sargeant kept telling to shut his gob as he was in the presence of two honest men....it was very funny.

A month later I got a letter covered in Greek stamps, so I thought 'here's a drink'.....nothing. A scrawled note saying 'While there are honest people on the earth, we can all have faith in humanity'......all well & good, but a tenner wouldn't have killed him......!

I was surprised by the number of friends who said I should have kept the cash & dropped the wallet in a postbox......I'd like to think I'd do the same as I did, should I find another one......

It is not jut about money... it is also about the kindness of others.

A few years ago I was on my way to an important meeting with a client, and as I left the double decker bus, a young man ran after me and handed me the folder containing the presentation which I have prepared and which I left on the seat on the top deck... he ran back into the bus and I never managed to thank him properly.

Recently I left the local Tesco and got into my car, when an woman chased me and... handed me my credit card which I left in the machine - she was the next customer behind me at the till.

In both cases, a small but kind deed that saved me a lot of trouble... and which they could have easily avoided 'minding their own business'.

I had a phone call at home----who are you I asked? Its me, on your phone,,,
I said --I know you are on my phone,,,but who are you????
It took the lady a while to get me to understand that she was on my mobile,,phoning my landline--telling me that I had lost my mobile,,and she had foundit
When I went to meet her to get my phone back,I gave her a fiver

It took the lady a while to get me to understand that she was on my mobile,,phoning my landline--telling me that I had lost my mobile,,and she had foundit

One of my colleagues had lost his jacket and phone on a company night out 100's of miles from home.

Next day a woman called his home number and spoke to his Wife, explaining she had the jacket and phone...before the colleague arrived home...

He walked in the door to be greeted by "Who's Mary"?...

I get people leaving all sorts at my work, I remember one time a young lady left her phone, I rang the last dialed number to tell them where it was and received so much abuse from the guy who answered I hung up.

Similar situation except the guy told me that he was going to kill me and all my family etc etc. for stealing his mrs phone, he couldn't understand that I had found it and wanted to return it!

I think he honestly thought I had found it and rang him up to taunt him about it!!!

Found a camera bag containing a nice SLR at Ben Laws whilst on holiday in Scotland, no sign of the owner, so took it to the nearest Police station that I could find which was about 20 miles away. Received a very nice letter containing a cheque about a month later when I had completely forgotten about it.

An old lady tripped over on a petrol forecourt whilst I was filling up so I stopped and went to help.... She was on the floor holding her handbag tight and a women came running over saying leave her alone...!!!

Another chap saw that nothing untoward was going on and that I was trying to help but what initially was a good will gesture turned into an argument.

Guess it's the way of the world.

A visitor came into work lost.I arranged online access with a work colleague
to find her car park.
When finished she just walked straight past me even though i was only person there.
Dunno why i bother.

I found a wallet in a phone box on Oxford Street years ago. I was flat bloke at the time & could have done with a few quid and it was stuffed full. After much soul-searching & deliberation, I took it round the corner to the police station and handed it in - the desk sergeant counted it all out in front of me and there was £3,800 worth of different currencies, gold credit cards and a few foreign ID cards. Turned out it belonged to a visiting Greek civil servant.

There was a ticket tout in the station waiting to be 'processed' - I knew him from my days at a nearby venue where I'd worked. He kept saying 'Fark Me mister 'Aines....you're a farkin' Mug you are & no mistake...." and the Sargeant kept telling to shut his gob as he was in the presence of two honest men....it was very funny.

A month later I got a letter covered in Greek stamps, so I thought 'here's a drink'.....nothing. A scrawled note saying 'While there are honest people on the earth, we can all have faith in humanity'......all well & good, but a tenner wouldn't have killed him......!

I was surprised by the number of friends who said I should have kept the cash & dropped the wallet in a postbox......I'd like to think I'd do the same as I did, should I find another one......

It might be time to find some new friends.

One of my colleagues had lost his jacket and phone on a company night out 100's of miles from home.

Next day a woman called his home number and spoke to his Wife, explaining she had the jacket and phone...before the colleague arrived home...

He walked in the door to be greeted by "Who's Mary"?...

No good deed goes unpunished!

Slightly off topic but in the same-ish vein, as posted on another site i frequent.

Thought I'd share, after all the moaning on the 'what annoys you'thread.

For the last 5 months or so, every Wednesday, my son sits on our bedroom windowsill and waves at the bin men and they kindly wave back at our him (just turned 2).

This morning, my boy was playing in the living room and heard them. He and his mum went out to wish them a merry Christmas, and they came over to him and gave him a chocolate Santa.

It's not a big thing, but it made my boys day and shows that people do care it's not always 'just a job'

Well done and thank you to the kind bin men of Southampton.

What else has made you smile recently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom