Faithful crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
I had a really surreal experience this morning. I was driving along a multi lane arterial City road and had to turn into a very small side road (more of an alley, but it has a road name and double yellow lines).
There was a middle aged woman walking down the pavement and it was obvious we were going to arrive at the junction simultaniously.
I indicated that I was going to turn and seeing as there was traffic behind me expected her to stop at the kerb and wait for my turn..but did she....??

No, she crossed her chest with the sign of the cross and carried on walking at the same pace so I had to stop quickly.

Some faith..:confused:

You have to be careful these days, i had a similar experience. I was driving long at 30, and going through a normal set of lights, an old asian apprached it and gave me a look and i thought 'ok she's seen me, so i'll continue', she then started to move frantically towards the other side of the road, and i booted the brakes and i honestly did struggle to stop.

I kinda just gasped 'what the hell are you doing!!', and she turned round and said 'sorry!'.

Your not going to be sorry if i hit you! i will !!

It's because they don't drive and probably have never. They are still locked into the early teenage mentality of 'you have to stop for pedestrians'

Crazy woman! I'd keep well away from dodgy drivers if I was her! :D

as the old driving theory test question goes.......

when does a pedestrian have right of way?

Answers on a postcard (DM you are disqualified :))

as the old driving theory test question goes.......

Answers on a postcard (DM you are disqualified :))

If I remember rightly, it's when their foot touches the carriageway.

That is regardless of crossings, etc.

But I stand to be corrected - I'm down a few whiskys (^$*^ day!)

Rule 170 Highway Code

Take extra care at junctions. You should
* watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
* watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
* watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)

This intimate knowledge of the highway code concerning your priority as a pedestrian will be of scant comfort of course as you are loaded into the ambulance on the way to casualty.:rolleyes:

This intimate knowledge of the highway code concerning your priority as a pedestrian will be of scant comfort of course as you are loaded into the ambulance on the way to casualty.:rolleyes:

it will however be immensely satisfying to any one of the ambulance chasing no win no fee vultures :)

Last October I pulled away when traffic lights turned green and was almost immediately reward with a large thump on the bonnet as a young man hurled himself into the front of the car as he tried to get across a junction, I was unsighted as there was a car on my left, he disappeared momentarily then got up and continued running down the street. Reported to the police but nothing heard since.

Why do pedestrians walk around the corner and out of sight when they want to cross at a junction???
Why do young pedestrians wear dark clothing and hoodies on poorly lit streets then amble across the road???
Why do young mums push their prams out from between parked cars when they can't see what's happening???

In BC in Canada there are parallel lines at various points on the highway and if a pedestrian steps between them they have absolute priority. Cross anywhere else and you will get a ticket.

Wanting to turn left into a side street off the main road, I noticed there was a woman walking along the pavement that was due to cross at about the same time that I wanted to turn left.
I thought to myself, I bet she doesnt glance back and see if there is any vehicle coming, and as sure as eggs are eggs, she didnt. She stepped off the pavement and started to cross the road with no thought of looking back. Anticipating this, I slowed right down and turned left just behind her as she crossed. By way of a gentle reminder to her to look back before stepping off the pavement, I beeped my horn as a went past. She jumped 3 feet in the air, turned round and let me have a tirade of abuse that would put a drunk navvi to shame. So much for being a lady thought I.
How long before she ends up in hospital?

WORDS FOR MY GRAVE-STONE ...

MY EPITAPH
"I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY"

Johnsco

If I remember from when I learnt to drive "the second time"......

There is no such thing as "right of way"..... only a requirement to "give way"

Wanting to turn left into a side street off the main road, I noticed there was a woman walking along the pavement that was due to cross at about the same time that I wanted to turn left.
I thought to myself, I bet she doesnt glance back and see if there is any vehicle coming, and as sure as eggs are eggs, she didnt. She stepped off the pavement and started to cross the road with no thought of looking back. Anticipating this, I slowed right down and turned left just behind her as she crossed. By way of a gentle reminder to her to look back before stepping off the pavement, I beeped my horn as a went past. She jumped 3 feet in the air, turned round and let me have a tirade of abuse that would put a drunk navvi to shame. So much for being a lady thought I.
How long before she ends up in hospital?

When I was a young kid I turned from a high street into a side road on my bike and was amazed that a copper on the beat stepped off the pavement in front of me; I nearly ran over his boots. He gave me a lecture on giving way to pedestrians when turning from a major road into a minor road.......sounds like both these ole ladies have been reading their highway codes :D

I spend/spent a long time ensuring that my kids understand that it doesnt matter whether they as pedestrians have right of way or not, if they get hit by a car, the car will win and they will get hurt/killed.

I dont beleive how many idiots can't work out that a car is hard and they are soft, and waiting to ensure the car has stopped (and trying to establish eye contact with the driver) when crossing a road anywhere, including a crossing with green pedestrian lights is basic survival instinct.

R

I dont beleive how many idiots can't work out that a car is hard and they are soft,

Very well said. It doesn't matter who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

You're just as dead even if it was the other persons fault.

When I was a young kid I turned from a high street into a side road on my bike and was amazed that a copper on the beat stepped off the pavement in front of me; I nearly ran over his boots. He gave me a lecture on giving way to pedestrians when turning from a major road into a minor road.......sounds like both these ole ladies have been reading their highway codes :D

If she had then she would know that pedestrians should stop at a road and check to see if any vehicles are approaching - and then proceed to cross only IF ITS SAFE TO DO SO. Not step off the kerb without looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom