fake wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat6buster

Car
W222 S350, 911sc
saw this and thought it was quite interesting and disconcerting at the same time.

here

The big part of the issue here is mahoosive price difference between genuine and copy.

Your average punter will see £ signs first and safety second.

Guess the message is dont buy counterfeit rims or far east made replicas.

in uk there is a huge aftermarket alloy business and i have yet to hear of any incident where a replica/aftermarket alloy has caused any issues..

I bought some non OEM winter wheels. I checked they had a TUV number, load rating (actually higher than OEM) manufacturer and type of casting. If you take care not too much of a problem.

Bling from the far east for little cash may be a different matter though. HPDC is a cheaper production process but less ductile and lower strength. It's also surprising to see the low load rating of some wheels. If the info isn't published by the manufacturer I treat with suspicion.

I heard of a s65 with aftermarket wheels from a well know supplier shearing of at the spokes on the rear. If true maybe due to pot holes damaging the wheel before it failed.

I heard of a s65 with aftermarket wheels from a well know supplier shearing of at the spokes on the rear. If true maybe due to pot holes damaging the wheel before it failed.

its a mystery to me why someone would put fake alloys on a car like this :eek:

That pothole was extreme, not defending shoddy copies, but the and genuine makers will have a vested interest in poo-pooing aftermarket replicas etc to keep themselves in the money..

pothole?? thats a confined space!! [emoji3]

fill it with water and you have a newly fitted swimming pool! in 10 years of driving I've never seen anything like that depth, extreme.

Sent from my iPhone

Look very closely, and it looks as though the fake actually contacts the surface, and the genuine one does not. Odd...

kjb1 said:
pothole?? thats a confined space!! [emoji3] fill it with water and you have a newly fitted swimming pool! in 10 years of driving I've never seen anything like that depth, extreme. Sent from my iPhone

In Britain we'd never get up to speeds of 30mph to hit a pothole due to crappy traffic :)

The use of "OEM Factory wheel" is a little misplaced.

Other than Ford I have never worked at any car manufacturer with their own wheel production.

All OEM wheels are made by well known "after market" suppliers too. (BBS, Ronal, Speedline etc etc.)

As said by other users - it comes down to buying quality - which often means £££

In Britain we'd never get up to speeds of 30mph to hit a pothole due to crappy traffic :)

You want to drive around parts of West Sussex. Trips to work sometimes feel like you are taking part in the Paris-Dakar rally, the roads are getting so bad.

Neil

I've just viewed the video again.

"Genuine wheels came through unscathed"

I doubt they'll still run true.

Look very closely, and it looks as though the fake actually contacts the surface, and the genuine one does not. Odd...

Looking at the way the tyre distorts I suspect the genuine alloy is holding the tyre in place better hence keeping it between the road and itself. The cheap alloy can't maintain enough force on the tyre and breaks.

or different pressure on the fakes to purposely fail tests [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone

I'd be a little sceptical as they only tested one set of wheels from an unknown source, on one car at one speed etc.

I'd be a little sceptical as they only tested one set of wheels from an unknown source, on one car at one speed etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom