Falcon ZE912 or Michelin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatdazza

Car
Vauxhall Chevette
Hi,

I have a W203 C180k Avantgarde with 17" alloys, 245s on the back and 225s on the front. Currently wearing Michelin Pilot Sports. Have had no complaints about them.

Fronts are getting thin and I need to think about replacing them. Rears still have 5mm tread so will be a few thousand before they need replacing.

I have seen the Falcon ZE912 and am considering them. About £30 cheaper than Michelins for each front and £70 cheaper for each rear. Money is not my main concern but a £200 saving on 4 tyres must merit some consideration.

My questions are:

Anyone had experience of Falken ZE912?

People's thoughts on running new Falkens on the front with Michelins on the rear for about 3k miles until the Michelins need replacing?

I know tyres are a very personal thing but welcome any additional suggestions.

Dazza

I would ( and have ) gone for the Falken 452's.

Pretty much of a muchness , both are very similar tyres , one is directional , one is assymetric.

I ran Falken 452's on the rear and P zeros on the front , i've now got Contisport 3's on the front and FK452's on the rear again.

I order them from Camskill , and get the local fitter to pop them on for some beer money. Seems to work out cheapest.

I'm using ZE912's on my CLK, cannot fault them. I find it hard to believe they are so much cheaper than the usual big names 'cause they are in no way inferior tyres.

Russ

The only complaint I had with Falken was the road noise :dk: Grip wise in wet and dry and performance under braking I couldn't fault them. Having said that I would gladly spend the extra £200 not to have to put up with the noise :thumb: JMHO :)

I have Falken Fk452 tyres on both our cars at the moment.....much cheaper and just as good a more expensive brands...

At one stage I was concerned at the apparent harshness of the tyres but this turned out to be worn out rear shocks and now I find the Falkens to be as smooth and quiet as any other tyre.

Hi
It would be the Mich for me everytime. Wear well, great grip, low road noise. Worth the extra in my opinion.
Had some Falken 452 and they didnt wear very well however most people seem to get on well with them so each to thier own i guess.
regards
Chaz

I have Falken Fk452 tyres .... now I find the Falkens to be as smooth and quiet as any other tyre.

Same here with the ZE912's, no noisier than the Conti's, Bridgestones or Goodyears that were previously on the car. And because the 912's don't have a directional tread pattern, the steering pull to the left has gone too.

Russ

I have 452's all round on mine, and to be honest I am experiencing a little unwelcome noise, as Flanaia1 says. I assume it is due to the herringbone directional tread pattern. If 912's aren't like this then you will probably be OK.

however, on our old 1995 XJ6 I always ran the original Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres which had a very pronounced herringbone pattern and they never made a sound, regardless of speed, wear, etc. Maybe the Jaguar's chassis is just better than the S211's at noise transmission suppression.

I'm also running ZE912's very pleased with them.
Before I had Kumho KU31's, I can't notice any difference, no road noise issue for me.

I had Falken 452's fitted on the rear of my W203 Sport Pack (245/17s) on one occasion when they didn't have the Kumho KU31's. They seemed an excellent tyre although the ride was a little harsher (possibly stiffer sidewall?). The only disappoinment was they only lasted 10K miles vs the 20K I seem to get from the Kumhos. I think they come in at around the same price. The problem with both the Falkens and Kumhos is that the price has steadily crept up over the last couple of years.

I've just had 452's fitted and changed from 225/50/16 to 265/35/18 yes you have more rumble noise but so far very happy with the way they feel and the ride.

Try camskills online only £5 delivery and ask a local fitter to swap them over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom