Falken FK452s or Pirelli P7s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tlbham

Car
2001 CLK430
Hello all,

I've decided I've had enough of my Pirelli P6000s making my heart stop every few weeks, as they have understeered towards pavements, walls and people. They are truly awful in the wet - a menace.

I had originally wanted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, Michelin PilotSport 2s or Continental SportContact 3s - the first two don't come in my size (205/55 R16 91W) and the Contis sound good but apparently are quite noisy and last a short time. I've read a few group reviews and scoured this forum (ok, searched a couple of times) and have narrowed down my choice of new tyre to either Falken FK452s or Pirelli P7s.

The P7s came top of one group review I saw (see 2010 European Summer Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide) for decent grip, good fuel consumption and top-of-the-class noise. Since I want tyres that allow me to have occasional fun on B-roads in confidence, but first and foremost are cost efficient and quiet on motorways, they really appealed.

I've kept coming back to the Falkens whenever I'm reading about tyres on this forum - a lot of CLK owners seem to rave about them. Further, they seem to be best-of-the-rest when it comes to mid-range tyres. A 'good all-rounder' and apparently underpriced/underrated.

A quick scan of the internet suggests the two could be roughly the same to have fully fitted. What do you guys recommend? I'm currently leaning towards the P7s because when I sell the car they would be a better name on the tyres, so the buyer shouldn't raise their eyebrow. However, just on general principal, part of me says Pirelli should never again have any of my money!

Thanks in advance.

Also....my P6000s all have 4mm left across each tyre - what do you reckon I should sell them for?

If they are the same price then i would probably steer towards the pirelli.. although I have the falkens on three of my cars..

I have fitted Falkens FK452s to my W203 (with sports package) and I find them quite harsh when set to the correct pressure......they are ok on perfectly flat roads but when I drive on unven surfaces, like many of the roads near me, they bump and skitter all over the place....guess that they may have quite a stiff sidewall??

For this reason alone, I would not fit them again......Vredstein Sessanta's on my CLK500 are much better despite being on 18inch rims

Very happy with my new Kumho KU31s - have had Conti sports, Goodyear F! assymetrics and Michelin and these are as good at a far cheaper price.

Falken's on my E280 Sport good ride, did have P7's before good as!!

Cheers guys.
I've had a poke around and I think the Kumhos don't sound very special - what are you guys directly comparing with? What tyres have you run before?

The Vredstein Sessantas look decent except in the wet, presumably due to a lack of many channels around the circumference of the tyre for water. The main reason I hate the P6000s is their wet performance, so I'd like a tyre with a good deal of channels.

More broadly: there's been 131 views of this thread as I write, yet only 5 posts.....cat got your tongue, guys? Genuinely interested in your opinions!

I've had both Kumhos and Falkens; both gave good grip in both wet and dry, weren't noisy, and were predictable when pushed (on an Alfa 156 2.0 TS on 16" rims). Possibly a lower profile might feel more skittish, not sure:dk:

On the whole I'd say they were a good quality tyre without the "brand" image price; although most drivers who frequent forums such as this will recognise them as a good make.

The Alfa had the Kumhos on when I bought it, and they were still quiet; the Falkens stayed quiet throughout their life of circa 20-25k miles

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with what you said about the Pirellis I've had them on a couple of my cars in the past (one set as OE) and I would not have them if they were giving them away. Always found Michelin sport pilots make a good wet tyre with decent wear rate with Continental conti sport a close second. Have Dunlop SP sport 01 as OE on the CLS, they seem ok in all conditions encountered so far although they do seem to be wearing a bit quick :devil:

What about the Falken 912's

I've got them on my C230k. Can be a bit noisy and I suspect that the wear rate may be a bit high but apart from that no problems up to date

They seem to do very well on the internet reviews.

Last edited:
I have Conti 3 good tyres but not cheap and not the best with regards tyre life
so i suspect quite a softish compound, hence rears lasting about 11,000miles, and fronts lasting longer

Strange thread - asks for advice and opinions and ignores them all..:D

Enjoy your P7's

Strange thread - asks for advice and opinions and ignores them all..:D

Enjoy your P7's

I considered the advice, I didn't ignore it. Please don't accuse me like that...not very fair.

I had Dunlop sports fitted to my E320 and they seemed fine at first but as they bedded in were horrible. Very sensitive to white lines or any other line in the road to a point where I thought the geometry of the car must be out.

Did some homework on the forum and went for a set of Falken tyres and they were great, no noise like the Dunlops and the handling was transformed.

Reading into the difference in tread patterns the Dunlops with a very defined V pattern were like other tyre with this pattern noted for this. The Falken has a defined ring and more directional and all I can say is that it changed the car. They seem to be holding out well and I think will exceed the Dunlops easily looking at the wear so far.

And when the do wear out I'm fitting another set of Falkens.........:rock:

And when the do wear out I'm fitting another set of Falkens.........:rock:

Is that the 452's referred to or a different number? Watching this thread with interest cos I'm in line for a full set for the 107. Lifetime wear isn't a problem (average 2500mls a year) but comfort(1) and noise(2) is.

I actually have ran all 3 brands on various cars, CLK used to be on Falkens, Audi A8 is on Kumho and they are fantastic better than Falken IMHO and the Vectra is running P7's

IMHO the best one, the P7 but not by much over the Kumho. Driving to the German Grandprix in the A8 so we see how the Kumho perform running 130+ mph as I know exactly how the P7's and Falkens perform at those speeds and the P7 is better. Then I can give a true opinion on all 3 :)

I know exactly how the P7's and Falkens perform at those speeds and the P7 is better.

I fully intend on testing the P7s on the M6/M1 tomorrow (but not even close to those speeds mind!) - looking forward to a quieter ride. The procession of roundabouts in MK should also serve as a nice test of cornering - especially if it rains....P6000s hated them.

Still, reckon I'll need to go fairly easy to let them bed in (tyre fitter reckoned they work fully straight away, but I'm not so sure! Don't all tyres need a couple of hundred miles?). I'd rather not play 'bet-my-car-they-work'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom