Falken or Kumho winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
Has anyone had any experience of the following

Falken HS-439
Kumho KW27

Both are winter tyres listed on Mytyres site as suitable for 255/35/18....

To throw another into the Mix Vredestein....I have them on the E55 and am having no problems in the snow.
I have Wintrac Extreme with 265 on the rear and 245 on the front.
They truely are excellent, which is why I have bought them again!

Vredestein do not make a winter tyre in 255/35/18 or I would have gone for them...I have Vredestein Quatracs on my other car and they have not let me down in the snow at all.

Kumho or Falken are almost £100 per tyre less than the few other winter tyres of this size available, hence my interest....

I have 4 Kumho KW17's on my W202 and have found them to be excellent with no noticeable loss of grip on the snow at all given the fact that I have also adapted my driving style as well to suit the given conditions.
A definite thumbs up from me! :thumb:

Have a look at Nokian. The are a finnish company and make excellent winter tyres.

Have a look at Nokian. The are a finnish company and make excellent winter tyres.

Thanks...but Nokian do not appear to make 255/35/18, hence why looking at the Kumho or Falken as an alternative to some more very expensive makes.

Anyone any views on Falken or Kumho winter tyres before I take the plunge and buy a set?

No experience myself i'm afraid , but if the 452's are anything to go by , they'll be good.

Kumho IMHO got M/S Kumho tyres on SWMBO Explorer and they are brilliant. During this snowy weather my pal got stuck in his BMW, his pal went to rescue him in a Land Rover Discovery and also got stuck, I went in the Explorer and pulled them both out, reckon my advantage was the tyres that provided superb grip in 8" of snow, will definitely replace the rubber with the same when the time comes.

Not exactly what you are after I know but does show the excellent performance of Kumho tyres in very challenging circumstances

Neither exact tyre was tested here, so makes me wonder how current and performing those Falken/Kumho are:

Winterreifentest 2009: Tabelle Reifengre 205/55 R 16 H

are other makes available for the tyre size you're after?

I get the impression that both the Kumho and Falken tyres have been recently introduced, possibly within the last 12 months.

There are other makes, but they are about £80 - £100 more per corner!!

I have Kumho tyres on my S500L and in the recent freeze I had no problems at all. When they need replacing I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again

I have the sport pack on my C220Cdi, it had Michelin pilots on when I bought it, I cant comment on tyre life as ive not worn a set out but the kumho's (all four) I had fitted are definitely a lot quieter. Ive been a bit adventurous with cornering in the dry and theyve never let go. I drove home recently in heavy snow, although the ASR kicked in along with ABS and every other safety aid, I never left the road, and made it home safe. Would I buy them again..absolutely.

I have the sport pack on my C220Cdi, it had Michelin pilots on when I bought it, I cant comment on tyre life as ive not worn a set out but the kumho's (all four) I had fitted are definitely a lot quieter. Ive been a bit adventurous with cornering in the dry and theyve never let go. I drove home recently in heavy snow, although the ASR kicked in along with ABS and every other safety aid, I never left the road, and made it home safe. Would I buy them again..absolutely.

Did you fit winter tyres or just ordinary "summer" tyres??

Kumho IMHO got M/S Kumho tyres on SWMBO Explorer and they are brilliant. During this snowy weather my pal got stuck in his BMW, his pal went to rescue him in a Land Rover Discovery and also got stuck, I went in the Explorer and pulled them both out, reckon my advantage was the tyres that provided superb grip in 8" of snow, will definitely replace the rubber with the same when the time comes.

Not exactly what you are after I know but does show the excellent performance of Kumho tyres in very challenging circumstances

I would have died of shame having my landrover rescued by an explorer:D.

Lynall

Some info here on winter tyres for 2009/2010......Canadian and does not do any testing or give recommendations but good infor on winter tyres available (if you can get through the adverts!)

Both the Falken HS439 and the Kumho KW27 are new this year and seem to include the latest tech....however, they seem to be indicating that the KW27 is more targeted to SUVs, so the Falken may be better??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom