Falken or Vredestein?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
I have a CLK500 convertible with 255/35/18 tyres on rear that need replacing.

I am torn between Falken 452 and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, both of which are similarly priced from Camskill at the moment.

I am more interested in comfort and longevity than out and out performance but they must be capable of handling the power of the car!! Also grip on wet / leaf covered country roads important.

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE040 and I find these quite a "hard" tyre and they have not worn that well.

Any comments?

I have used the Vredestein wintrac Extreme and found them a great tyre, I used them on my E320 cdi and I am getting some for my E55 for the winter.
So +1 for these!

Neither, its Michelin Energy for me. Quiet & handle well in wet & dry, & no more expensive if you shop around.

I have just bought some 255/35/18 falkens 452. Camskill and Blackcircles are out of stock, but found them at www.falkentyres.co.uk for £93.59+vat (includes next day delivery)

thats a grand total of £107.63 inc vat and delivery.

Thats what i paid £107 for my rear 265/35/18 Falken from my local tyre man but that also included fitting:D

Lynall

Vredestein continually come out top on most of the european car magazine tyre tests. I use their winter tyres which are exceptional, I would the expect the Sessantas to be no different, Vredesteins reputation is very good at the moment.

Russ

Well, have gone for Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta tyres on the rear of my CLK 500.....they were very similarly priced as the Falkens from Camskill and Camskill reckoned that the Sessantas were a better tyre (their exact wording was "The Falkens are good gut the Sessantas are better)

Anyway has them fitted by WIM today and had alignment sorted....too early to report on whether the tyres are better than the Bridgestone RE040s they replaced although the RE040s seemed to be loosing grip easily on wet roads and the new tyres seem to be ok.

too early to report on whether the tyres are better than the Bridgestone RE040s they replaced although the RE040s seemed to be loosing grip easily on wet roads and the new tyres seem to be ok.

I've got RE050s on the rear & they are not great in the wet either.

Russ

I have been impressed with the Falken 452's recently fitted to all four corners of our a124 - principally, they are significantly quieter than the Goodyear Eagles previously fitted and much more sure-footed. That said, the Goodyear's were over 5 years old and down to 3-4mm :eek:
Both our cars are rear wheel drive and, due to the handling characteristics specific to such cars, I'm perhaps overly sensitive to the rear-end 'feel' in difficult conditions - wet, cold, leaves, greasy etc.
I don't drive a the a124 in the same manner as the MX-5 of course but that sense of the rear staying 'stuck' until you push it beyond grip is important as is the response of the tyre once that grip ceases. I want consistency of slip and drift not 'snap breakaway' - I don't have the responses of an F1 driver!
This is also one of the reasons both cars are regularly set up by Mr. Bones at WIM as most of the handling characteristics are down to suspension geometry - tyres just play their part in the whole package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom