Falken ZE912 or FK452? 265/35ZR18 on S210 E320?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jefrs

Car
S210 E320 Avantgarde '98 full load
Quick question regarding the relative merits of Falken tyres?

Which Falken, the ZE912 asymmetric or the FK452 directional?

My Michelin PS have (a) punctured (b) worn out and I need a pair of affordable rears.

Staggered AMG 9J 265/35ZR18

So I hear the FK452 are a bit noisy,
but the ZE912 are "for small to medium cars up to 250hp"
and the E320 is 220-odd hp and it is a big estate and it does get loaded up from time to time.

The ZIEX ZE912 265/35ZR18 is 97W XL - I presume XL is "extra load" ?

The FK-452 265/35ZR18 is 97Y - but no load rating given ?

please advise...

TIA, jefrs.

452's are noisier if your precious about sound intrusion. I guess they are grippier of the two, worked well on my CLK

I have the ZE912's on my CLK, far better than the Bridgestone RE050's that they replaced. The 912's do not have the v tread pattern like the 452, the v pattern seems to make my car pull to the left.

Russ

I am a little concerned that the ZE912 may not be up to the power and weight of the E320 (if you'll forgive me, a CLK220-CDi is a bit shy on weight and power).

Plus the E320 S210 has ADS which lets it corner a bit quicker. I like grip, I like to stay on the road.
I expect a tyre to grip wet or dry, but I don't expect any tyre to cope well with extreme weather.

Mine and Olly's C43's have 912's on them and trust me when I say this they can handle the power, Olly took me for a run in his to demonstrate his de-cat and he floored it, I like to drive my car hard rain or shine (depending on mood) and they have never let me down especially on a country lanes.

Quick question regarding the relative merits of Falken tyres?

The ZIEX ZE912 265/35ZR18 is 97W XL - I presume XL is "extra load" ?

The FK-452 265/35ZR18 is 97Y - but no load rating given ?

please advise...

TIA, jefrs.

The "97" is the load rating, a 97 rated tyre can take a load of 730Kg

See here for a load rating table:TYRESAVE: Tyre Load Ratings

XL tyres often have stiffer construction over and above the load rating I believe.

Thanks folks, most votes are for the 912, which sews it up 'cos I have to order them tomorrow.

452's are noisier if your precious about sound intrusion. I guess they are grippier of the two, worked well on my CLK

I have heard this a few times and I am running 452's on the back of my merc as the standard conti's didn;t last long so thought I would try a more reasonable priced tyre.

I've not noticed a difference in noise compared to the standard fit conti sports.

J.

I have 452's on the S-Class,these are my third set. Just changed the rears, 21,000 miles,which is roughly what i got out of the two previous sets. Don't find them noisy, which is one the priorities on a working S-Class.

275/35/20 £ 192.00 each fitting and vat.

Had the 452's and now have 912 on the back. no problem with them and they are marked as XL so should be up to the job.

Well I got the 912s. They seem ok so far. I will say I've had the ESP light up a couple time where the Michelins would not have done so. I shall put this down to new tyres for now.

The last couple days have been a little wet, more importantly greasy after the dry spell. So although the ESP lit up, the rear Falkens gave no sign of going sideways, note I had the Michelins light the ESP in the same location (bend on a steep road built over an old stream bed) in bad weather.

I have already found that if the tyres let go, the car can snap away with little warning. I suspect this is an artefact of the ESP, there's no gradual drift. It sticks to the road remarkably well but I like to know the limit of adhesion wet or dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom