Falken ZE914

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Just ordered a pair of 245x40x18 Falken ZE914 tyres for the front axle on the E55. I just checked , as I tend to weekly, on the tread depth and was concerned to see the inner tread on the o/s tyre down to the canvas!:eek:

I drove to London Heathrow recently and I really hope I had some tread then as it did involve some "spirited" driving coming home.
It really hits home how important it is to turn the wheels on full lock to thoroughly inspect the tread depth. I missed how bad the o/s/f was last time.

I've ordered the Falkens as the ones on the car have done 9k miles and the grip is very good wet or dry. Got the pair for £155 38 delivered from Tyreleader and hope to have them fitted on Thursday.
Meanwhile, the car stays off the road:doh:

Maybe get the geometry looked at as well, although I know some BMWs do this on the fronts.

I have these on all 4 corners , good tyres for the money . xl .

I have 17" Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics (225/45 and 245/40) all round on the S204 and am delighted with them - excellent grip wet or dry, and so quiet it's astonishing! Sourced from Tyreleader, IIRC £307 for all 4 plus fitting.

When I first got the S203 a few years back, I put Falken FK452's all round (16'2, probably 205/55), they were fine dry or wet, but then a little white stuff appeared and, even though they were almost brand new, they were useless!

When I first got the S203 a few years back, I put Falken FK452's all round (16'2, probably 205/55), they were fine dry or wet, but then a little white stuff appeared and, even though they were almost brand new, they were useless!

It wouldn't matter what (summer) tyres I put on the E55, it won't be going anywhere if it snows. And that occurs maybe once a year on Poole:bannana:

Similar down here in East Kent - but I do have a set of winter wheels as they're better in the cold and wet as well as if the white stuff appears - but I've not yet put them on this year!!

Yup, through to the canvas too on the fronts on the CL recently, It was just about time for the winter set anyway so I fitted them.

Bought Uniroyal Rainsport 3: 255/35 R20 97Y XL, FR for £102.40 each, now being fitted whilst the alloys are being reconned.

If you're having the wheels powder coated or painted, beware too much paint in the centre of the wheel - the big hole that goes over the hub. I had one hell of a game earlier this year getting the wheels off my 968 for the first time since they were reconned 3 1/2 years ago, loads of BF&BI needed, then had to take a dremmel and flap wheel to the hole in the middle.

Fitted the Falkens which arrived today (48hrs) from Tyreleader.
2x245x40x18 for £155 I'm very happy with.

Going for an alignment check Monday as both inside tyres had an inch of excessive wear on the inside edge of the ones removed.

Fitted the new Bosch Aerotwin blades I bought for £5 from Halfords a while back, washed it, sealed the wheels and blacked the tyres.

Then I had an afternoon nap:D

Funnily enough both my fronts have worn on the inside?

^ I wonder if AMG's have a slight negative camber in their set up?
They should wear evenly across the tread.
I'll find out with mine Monday

Mine (Not an AMG) were out because I've lowered it 35mm and fitted 15mm spacers (rear) and 10mm spacers (front)
But I think they scrub slightly anyway, the wider the stance, the more scrub.

Edit, photo here;

Last edited:
I agree after all that work a afternoon nap is just the thing,I have used Falkens but never on a BMW or Mercedes,they are good tyres,as time as gone on names that were considered cheap have become accepted as premium ,I see Mercedes are fitting other brands other than Continental and Michelin,are you getting the tracking done on a Hunter it takes some beating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom