Fall in new Merc registrations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
Just got the SMMT figures for March year to date new car registrations, compared with same three months last year:

New car registrations:

Merecedes 19,143 v 24,541, a fall of 22%
Audi 25,467 v 22,502, an increase of 13.31%
BMW 24,512 v 25,652, a fall of 4.4%

Whats happening here?

Quality issues and service levels hitting home?

Marc

Possibly...

but could mean better deals for new and used models on the forecourt? :)

...might be people are waiting for new models, rather than purchasing son to be retired models?
Les

DITTRICH said:
...might be people are waiting for new models, rather than purchasing son to be retired models?
Les

I agree, I think the previous year was boosted by the new E Class and the SLK. Some other models, A, M, S Class etc are aging but new models are being launched.

Audi on the other hand has a new A3, A4 and A6 model out.

I'm sure BMW will increase with the new 3 series being launched.

Think that one other point to be considered is the Merc policy of trying to have it's own global network - i.e. most dealerships are theirs and as such there a fewer motivated people in the chain.

They are obviously suffering as witnessed by the special offers on many models recently. The 3 series will have knocked em hard with it's special 3 year inclusive service offer and the new 3 series will be an out and out winner.

I should have been driving the new 320D SE Auto out of the showroom yesterday but a radical change in circumstances has meant going for a much cheaper used car (C220cdi). Fortunately got my deposit back!!

david_e said:
Think that one other point to be considered is the Merc policy of trying to have it's own global network - i.e. most dealerships are theirs and as such there a fewer motivated people in the chain.

QUOTE]

The dealers are still independant from Mercedes, just the name is displayed as Mercedes Benz of xxxxx

David E's right. The reason I would never buy another Merc is because, here in the south east, Mercedes Benz have set up a dealership cartel where an oil change costs £300. I thought the OFT was set up to regulate this kind of activity. The dealers are also completely useless - and I've tried several. Quality also must be a factor. Mercs are unreliable and the body finish is visibly inferior to Audi and VW.

I agree with Mainman, it was a quality product but the dealership cartel in the M25 has really pixxed me off.

MB have closed the two nearest MB dealerships to me and replaced them with glitzy palaces on windswept industrial estates miles from anywhere.

The quality ownership experience is just not there for me and I am seriously thinking Lexus for my next car.

My local Honda Dealer tells me that they do most of the servicing for the Merc dealer two doors away, including their MOT's, because the Merc dealer doesn't have an MOT station, or many qualified mechanics, which I find amazing. Also at £50 per hour they claim to be the cheapest in the area, which is probably true and they give first class service.

Despite this am picking up my new (to me) Merc 2mo:)

I wonder how the figures would compare split by Company car / private car registrations?
Merc's, especially the C Class, don't make much sense as company cars because of high C02 (esp the diesel) and high list price (esp the diesel) - so it's a double whammy on tax. I would guess, therefore, that company car registrations have plummeted for Mercedes. Of course I could be totally wrong. :eek:

For private buyers, I know the Service Inclusive deals that BMW do are very popular. I asked for a quote on a service contract for my C270 based on 25K/yr and it was £115 + VAT per month, without tyres. I turned it down but I thought if that's how much Mercedes think it costs to service then perhaps I'm doing the wrong thing.
I still bought the car, but if I get one bad experience I won't be having another.

Rory said:
I wonder how the figures would compare split by Company car / private car registrations?

For March this was as follows:

12699 total
7476 retail
139 captive fleet
1096 business fleet (1-24)
3988 fleet (25+)

But be careful in reading the figures as cars don't always get taxed in the right category... :devil:

Having driven an assortment of Mercs in the last 15 years, (even bought a new one once!) I now see myself as a pre 95 merc fan, their new cars just don't do it for me. One of my current cars is a fairly new SLK320 with just about every toy known, but alas, it has no soul and the dealers have no grace. With my new (92 SL500) I will never fave to see a Merc dealer again, and happy I will be as Obi says......

I will certainly never buy another Mercedes and my two colleagues have already switched away and will also not be going back. They've shot themselves in the foot with shocking quality, appalling dealers and even the improvement in styling over recent years won't save them I'm afraid. Coupled with their failed investments in lame ducks like Smart and Mitsubishi along with being dragged down by Chrysler, I see them being a subsidiary of GM in a few yrs I'm afraid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom