false 210 oil level warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
On the way to work this morning, i got a red warning on the dash "Engine oil level - stop engine" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: (I think it also said oil level low). It's never done that before.

Stopped car immediately and drew a couple of deep breaths. After a couple of minutes thought, i decided to switch on the ignition and measure the oil level. This time it said "Oil level high".

Well that clinched it for me; it couldn't be low one minute, then high the next. As the oil pressure warning had not illuminated and since it was not too far to go to work, i carried on.

After work, i checked the oil level (in the dark:doh:) and it looked OK. So I went home. On the way home, i got the "Oil level high" warning again. :devil: (No "stop engine" message, and still no low oil pressure warning, so carried on. )

Much later in the evening, i checked the oil level again and it looked fine (still dark though;)). So what is going on???:confused:

Could it be a faulty oil level sensor? Where is this?

Never one to worry people or cause a panic. My C240 was doing exactly this. I also dipped the level and all looked good. Engine threw a con rod threw the block two days later.

Blocked oil passage.

Get it checked. Do not assume faulty sensor.

same deal with my w210 it keeps you on the ball to check oil level more often ,oil switch is on the sensitive side .

You may have fault codes logged with regards to the oil level sensor. When they do fault they do give strange warnings.

It maybe worth doing a flush out of the engine oil.

Thanks guys. Does any body know where the sensor is located? I'll check the easy stuff first, like sensor wiring, etc...

Oil is always changed regularly, in fact was changed not very long ago. It's very good with oil and consumes very little. It is weeks since I last topped it up (and then only a tiny amount), so it is baffling how a problem with the level could be intermittently displayed (unless it is a false reading).

Blocked with what?:dk:

Oil sludge, some old silicon from instant gasket or some old paper gasket, can all potententialy block oil ways. But as you say the oil been changed out regularly and if with the right spec shouldn't be a problem.
As BlackC55 says your best to get the sensor checked out using Star asap.
Guessing games can be expensive games.

So there may be fault code(s) that can identify a faulty sensor?

bes1110 said:
Oil sludge, some old silicon from instant gasket or some old paper gasket, can all potententialy block oil ways. But as you say the oil been changed out regularly and if with the right spec shouldn't be a problem.
As BlackC55 says your best to get the sensor checked out using Star asap.
Guessing games can be expensive games.

The passage was blocked with oil sludge.

The car had been regularly serviced with the correct oil. It was a second hand car. So who knows.

The only issue seen was this oil level error(s)

Car was booked in for a new sensor. Ended up with a new engine.

The passage was blocked with oil sludge.

The car had been regularly serviced with the correct oil. It was a second hand car. So who knows.

The only issue seen was this oil level error(s)

Car was booked in for a new sensor. Ended up with a new engine.

You have my sympathies. I am now booked in for a check at the garage too.

So, can the ecu detect and report a fault like a blocked oil passage?

Car went to garage last week. They couldn't identify a relevant fault code. So they cleared all codes and we're going to monitor how it goes. In the last week, the fault had been reported only once, so the intermittently does make it seem false.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom