Familiar E55 W211 Moved to New Home Further North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well worth the time to clean, treat and wax brake pipes on these.

20210714_181021.jpg

Rusty nuts sir?

Stainless steel I say sir.

Under the car where it can stay wet if used on rainy days, caution should be given to dis-similar metal use like this.
(this is not criticism of your choice, as I don't understand the detail of the bolt/nut/bracket make up in the picture shown).

By fitting stainless nuts on e.g. low alloy steel bolts, if the components get wet (and noting that the screw thread is a crevice that can retain water) then any exposed bare low alloy steel of the bolt will sacrificial corrode and 'protect' the stainless steel even further. This is basically a tiny electrochemical battery. In these dis-similar metal situations, the more reactive metal can be consumed fairly quickly vs a similar metal joint.

If the bolts are replaceable and the ability to protect the nut and undo the joint is the highest priority, and the bolt can be replaced, this is a good solution.

If the bolt is welded into position and is difficult to replace, then aluminium nuts could be a good option, as they will corrode preferentially to the low alloy steel bolt, thereby protecting the bolt
The only trouble being that you would need to replace the nuts every year or two.

The use of low alloy steel nut and bolt has even/equal and generally slower rate of corrosion between the two, so liberally application of corrosion inhibiting spray after installation and at regular interval would help slow the corrosion down even further.

So, armed with this information, you can choose which metal combinations might be suitable.

Under the car where it can stay wet if used on rainy days, caution should be given to dis-similar metal use like this.
(this is not criticism of your choice, as I don't understand the detail of the bolt/nut/bracket make up in the picture shown).........

Understood, galvanic corrosion is a real pain.

I use ceramic grease which seems to work well and keep an eye on things also using FE123 where appropriate.

Things like the heat shields where the alu shield rots first is a real problem.

I re-did all mine with stainless and they are holding up well.

As you mention it's all about knowing what can happen and keeping an eye on it.

20210714_190020.jpg

what a fantastic thread cant wait to see the end results great work m8

My fav E55AMG on this forum!
The attention to detail is something else! It's making me want an e55amg even more now.

Looking super :thumb:. Have you used any wheel sealant?

I usually add some Colinite wax on the inside, to be honest I don't think it makes any difference.
This time after cleaning I've just used a waterless wash and wax for the final clean.

Got the bumper back, it's been painted for a while just not had time or van to go get it.

20210809_192557.jpg

Very pleased, it is immaculate.
Need to clean the black moulding and work the Gtechnic C4 magic on it first though.

Just need some time to get this back on but I've got a W211 and a W164 that need some work first.

Then there is this thing called work which is also getting in the way. :)

Can't believe I've still not finished this.

Just far too busy with work, it's a round the clock thing just now with all the component (chips / ICs) shortages.

Will try and make some time next week so I can get the car out for a drive.

What kind of wax is this? De you re-apply often?

I use 3-in-one White Lithium Grease.
Spray some into a cap and leave for a few hours and it dries a bit then can be brushed on nicely.
Probably do it once or twice a year at most.

This will be a year around driver? Snow, mud and salt?
If it's a summer only car, maybe yearly would do?

This will be a year around driver? Snow, mud and salt?
If it's a summer only car, maybe yearly would do?

No, fair weather driving only.
The fun part for me is keeping things in check like this.

Finally found some time today to put the rear end back together.

Bumper all checked fine, interior in the boot all back together, tested the reversing sensors etc. and went for a run out.

Also cleaned and gummi pledged lots of the rubbers.

Notiched one of the rear seals in the boot lid area has a split so will order up some new boot seals.

New rear boot area seals (A2116930133 / A2116930233) ordered form MB Newcastle today .
Also ordered the rear loading area panel (A21169006419B51) as mine has a slight crack in it.

Fast response as usual from MB Newcastle and prices seem reasonable.
Also ordered some Front Pads for the W212 and 20L of 229.51 Oil, £231 all in delivered. 👍

Seems like an age since I've been out in the E55, still not fitted those bits of trim, just been real busy.

Should have been taking Imp out to a show on Sunday but she was playing up a bit so took the E55 instead.

20220508_150343.jpg

20220508_152228.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom