Family Tree. Anyone done one? Who would you recommed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
I'm thinking about doing my family tree, there seems so many different websites, who does any one recommend please.
Thanks Eddie

I remember when the internet first became accessible to the silver surfers. The first thing they did upon retirement was to do their family tree.

Well there are a number of free sites you can start with,Freebmd is the best for tracing your line back it of course helps if you have a unusual name,those records go back to 1837,there is also Familysearch which is also free to use,you will need access to the census and so you will need to take a subscription to Ancestry, and you will need a family tree programme to put all the data you find,there are lots to choose from,you do not need to pay a lot for one,look on ebay for say Family Tree version 10 which is not the latest one but well capable of holding everything you find.

Ancestry is the best if you are going to do it properly.

BUT it has to be done properly, if its going to mean anything.

I mean by that you need documented confirmation that everything you find is correct, ie birth certs death certs marriage certs otherwise you can easily go off on a tangent with someone who has a similar name and date of birth etc and end up following the wrong person, I know so many who have done it.

What's the point of doing it shoddily if you want to follow your family tree it will cost you for all the copies of certs. but its the only way.

And don't rely on word of mouth from older members of the family or friends of family or others; memories with the best will in the world fail, by all means take on all the info but it still needs checking.

Not meant to be negative in any way but meant as guide lines, hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ancestry

Ancestry is the primary source.

It seems expensive on an annual basis but you can probably still take it just on a month by month basis.

Just remember that, like gym membership, intending to do this is easier than actually doing it. So just pay what you need, and don't pay silly money for a resource that you won't get round to using.

And don't rely on word of mouth from older members of the family or friends of family or others; memories with the best will in the world fail, by all means take on all the info but it still needs checking.

I agree, but to go slightly off topic, making a note of memories, your own in particular, is the best way to maintain social history.

I believe we should all write our 'autobiographies' (I refer to mine as my life notes), for our grandchildren, and if you still have grandparents, get them to do the same. Parents to children is a bit close, as much of their lives is shared, but many grandparents could have pre-war memories, which if not recorded, will die with them.

Also, I'd suggest making notes of who's who and where on the backs of photos

I thoroughly enjoyed doing mine, I found out later that the local U3A even do a course.

Please forgive the mini thread hi-jack.

Malcolm

You will be surprised just how much info you can get from Freebmd,when this was started,it was made free to all people,it will save you money if you need to buy certs,because if you can give the GRO the reference number of the cert you want it is cheaper,many people who use Freebmd fail to use it to it's full potential,you can of course use Ancestry and Findmypast for free,but you would need to live close to a county record center my one is at Chelmsford,and use of those two subscription sites is free while you are there,if you buy a subscription to Ancestry,be careful not to rely on other peoples trees which can be found on there,best to ask your family collect what certs they have and then work back,it helps to have a unusual name,if it is Smith or Jones even Green,you will have to buy certs at practically every situation,it can be a great hobby.

I've played at mine on & off for a few years but have got back to me 1738 atm. Like people have put above I used free BMD to cross reference information but i fell lucky (we knew my family & surname had roots in Suffolk) I did a Google search with just my surname and a historical society in Suffolk had put everything Census online, so I've not really had to pay for anything as yet...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom