Fan-assisted central heating boiler ... lifespan of fan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
we had a glowworm boiler with a strange problem would overheat on full load on the hw side. Called british gas for a fixed price repair at £125 pounds (on special at the moment for £99).

So far 5 visits over 8 odd days, new pump, diverter valve, 3 way motor, overheat thermostat. :crazy:

According to bg parts fitted so far about £700 plus the labour :crazy:

Eventually fixed (today) £10 sensor.................................strange but happy, engineer was a bit embarrassed though.

Nice to see you're in the hands of Corgi registered experts..:rolleyes:

Unless you are CORGI registered it is a criminal offence to do any work on a gas boiler.

Last time I checked it's only an offence to do work for payment. Which means that I can fit a new boiler myself, but not actually put an electrical spur in to provide power to it as that would require part p...

In fact IIRC I can't even change a light fitting in my own bathroom for the same reason, but I can fit a gas fire in my living room.

we had a glowworm boiler with a strange problem would overheat on full load on the hw side. Called british gas for a fixed price repair at £125 pounds (on special at the moment for £99).

So far 5 visits over 8 odd days, new pump, diverter valve, 3 way motor, overheat thermostat. :crazy:

According to bg parts fitted so far about £700 plus the labour :crazy:

Eventually fixed (today) £10 sensor.................................strange but happy, engineer was a bit embarrassed though.

The upside is your central heating system got overhauled for £125 , Bargain !!!

In fact IIRC I can't even change a light fitting in my own bathroom for the same reason, but I can fit a gas fire in my living room.

I'm sure you can change one, as in a replacement for the old one. Part P is fairly open the way I read it.

Our boiler (Potterton Suprima 70) has become rather noisy ... the obvious culprit would seem to be the fan. Digging out the paperwork the boiler is 8 years old - is it reasonable for the fan to be up for replacement?

I assume a shaft/bearing is worn, in which case it's unlikely (touch wood) to die completely in the short term. The noise sounds worse outside (coming from the flue) - the boiler still seems to be working well and the flame looks fine.

We had someone booked to look at it on Friday night but they never turned up :crazy:

Certainly sounds like the fan to me and at eight years old is about right for lifespan.

They are fairly easy to replace yourself just remember to re-fit the tubes from the air pressure switch. When you order it just make sure you give them the serial number and Gas Council number from the data-badge as its not unknown to change component suppliers part way through a production run.

On the CORGI registration front?, its a grey area. Several interpretations exist for this type of work:-

For hire and reward you need registration.

If its for yourself then its only "competance" thats required, not registration.

If its not a gas carrying component then registration is not required but competancy still is.

In any event, they are easy to fit.

Cheers.
Portzy.

Cheers all.

New neighbour's husband turns out to be a heating engineer - he's putting in a new fan for us tomorrow :)

Certainly sounds like the fan to me and at eight years old is about right for lifespan.

They are fairly easy to replace yourself just remember to re-fit the tubes from the air pressure switch. When you order it just make sure you give them the serial number and Gas Council number from the data-badge as its not unknown to change component suppliers part way through a production run.

On the CORGI registration front?, its a grey area. Several interpretations exist for this type of work:-

For hire and reward you need registration.

If its for yourself then its only "competance" thats required, not registration.

If its not a gas carrying component then registration is not required but competancy still is.

In any event, they are easy to fit.

Cheers.
Portzy.

Competency being properly trained and have completed ACS certification. Although I do love visiting jobs after DIY boiler repairs go wrong! Best get yourself a carbon monoxide alarm whilst you are at the merchants!
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom