Fancying this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I’m looking for something cheap as a summer runabout/something to polish and I keep looking at this. Ive checked the MOT history and there doesn’t seem to be anything too serious.
What does the panel think?

Always like a saab, the bulkhead splitting is a weak point on those. Have a check where the steering column goes through into the engine bay.

Never owned a Saab but know a man who has, oddly he was a Plumber, had his own business, loved them. That looks to me like a good example, get the figure down closer to £1000, and go for it , would be great motoring to your Greek hideaway next summer.👍

Never owned a Saab but know a man who has, oddly he was a Plumber, had his own business, loved them. That looks to me like a good example, get the figure down closer to £1000, and go for it , would be great motoring to your Greek hideaway next summer.👍
I don’t think I’d have the balls to drive it over to Skiathos. It’s a little too far for an old girl like that.

I do like the Saabs, and it's not the diesel incomplete DPF regen dumping unburnt fuel into sump nightmare engine. I'd not be put off having had a very good look round it and checking for the usual, plus using iCarsoft to code read and also making sure I could hear it start from cold.

Generally wear very well on the interiors too. The only minor issue to my mind is the pale interior on a drop top. It will be filthy, so don't wipe any of the leather or you will have to do the whole lot. Although that might be part of the charm to while away the lockdown hours in the summer 👍

The only problem for me would be.... that being OCD I like my cars to be as near-perfect as possible, and even with a reliable marque such as Saab, a 20+ years old car is unlikely to be that... so I'll probably end-up spending a small fortune on fixing all sorts of non-essential faults, or, worse, learn to live with it but toss and turn at night........

Loved my Saab and would still be driving one today if they were still trading.

Bulkhead cracks should be picked up during an MOT as it is a well documented fault , Abbot Racing do a brace to eliminate some flex and as a consequence prevents the cracking.

Oil pick-ups can get blocked as the exhaust downpipe runs pretty close to the sump which can bake the oil onto the inside faces of the sump then it flakes off and gets caught in the strainer, only solution is a sump drop + clean.

Exhaust studs can shear at the head so check all eight are still intact.

Headunit sounds woeful through stock speakers but a set of 150mm speakers from Alpine sorts that out , an amp from a higher spec model should be plug and play and lives behind the passenger kick panel IIRC.

A set of lowering springs and 17" Aero wheels will set it off just nice , rear springs are a 30 min job , fronts are a PITA as the whole strut / hub assembly needs removed.

Faulty DI ignition cassette can cause a misfire so watch out for that if you view it.

K

Thanks for all the replies so far, any more will be most welcome.
Im going to email the seller in the week but I don’t know what to do about a viewing because of the lockdown.

I fancy a little summer project but Im not interested in anything mechanical so it’ll be cleaning it and making it look decent. My wife will use it for work but only it’s 3 miles each way and that’ll really be about it!!

The fact that it’s over 20 years old is rather appealing to me. Back in the late 80’s, anybody that was driving about in a 60’s convertible and using it as a daily was considered very cool. 😎

Last edited:
Ot will be one of the last cars to have the B204 engine... which was considered 'bulletproof' (but obviously only if properly maintained).

A convertible will revolutionise your driving experience. Somehow you become far more "in touch" with the road and other users when you are not sealed in your car. A journey becomes more of an event rather than simply A to B.

I'm a big fan of open top motoring in the winter - roof open, windows up and heater on, a convertible isn't just for summer!

A convertible will revolutionise your driving experience. Somehow you become far more "in touch" with the road and other users when you are not sealed in your car. A journey becomes more of an event rather than simply A to B.

I'm a big fan of open top motoring in the winter - roof open, windows up and heater on, a convertible isn't just for summer!
I’m up for all of that, I’ll try to keep the roof down as much as possible.
The fact that it’s cheap is all part of the fun and that roof down experience.

Ot will be one of the last cars to have the B204 engine... which was considered 'bulletproof' (but obviously only if properly maintained).

Funny you should say that ...

"PART SERVICE HISTORY WITH 3 STAMPS RECORDED"

That's a bit light on a 23 year old car!

It's certainly low mileage, and a good looking car for the money. You'd think that one of the three past owners would have had it serviced a bit more often though (particularly when newer) - I suspect it would have been due every 12 months.

It's certainly low mileage, and a good looking car for the money. You'd think that one of the three past owners would have had it serviced a bit more often though (particularly when newer) - I suspect it would have been due every 12 months.
Admittedly it’s weird so what should I do? Start it up and see how it drives?🤷‍♂️

I couldn’t agree more. I go everywhere with the roof down, in every weather. Only heavy rain stops me. That said I drive with the sunroof and windows open in hard tops!

Admittedly it’s weird so what should I do? Start it up and see how it drives?🤷‍♂️

Yup, just 'buy on condition' as they say! use it as a haggling point if you like the car :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom