fantasy car insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Played a bit of fantasy car insurance today. The Audi A8 and Porsche 911 look rather good value to me. But with only £560 between the lowest and highest it’s nice to have so many options open, if only the bank balance reciprocated

2004 Audi A2 1.4 TDI £309 (current car)

2002 Saab Aero HOT £537

2003 Audi A8 4.2 £571

2001 Mercedes SLK 320 £576

1995 Porsche 911 £635

2001 Mercedes CLK 55AMG £732

2002 Lotus Elise £777

2002 Honda S2000 £783

2002 Jaguar XKR £783

2001 BMW M5 £868

Interesting that the CLK comes up more expensive than the 911, that surprised me a bit.

I can remember when I choosing a car about ten years ago doing a very similar exercise and being equally surprised when a new Clio 172 Sport was more expensive to cover fully comp than a four year old Jag XJR.

Interesting that the CLK comes up more expensive than the 911, that surprised me a bit.

Not when you compare the years the Porsche is 6 years older than the MB CLK

Not sure what input criteria you used as I know that impacts prices but our A8 Insurance is less than half that on your list :bannana:

For all the above cars the criteria (value, driver age, location) are the same, except where I've shown a vehicle age difference.

What I think may make my premium more than others is that my wife who is a named driver only passed her test 5 years ago. Also I park on a driveway and not in a garage. But all in all, I was pleasantly surprised how low some premiums were.

Not when you compare the years the Porsche is 6 years older than the MB CLK

I did notice that but I would have thought that cost of replacement parts and labour rates would be higher on the Porsche.

Porsche v CLK is an interesting one I agree..

1. newer cars are supposed to be cheaper to insure due to increased safety and security
2. Poss loading on CLK as there are a lot more about to be involved in accidents and also may be the preferred one to be nicked by scumbags?

hard to say.

I can't work out how insurance premiums are calculated, just getting a car for my 17 year old daughter who is learning to drive was initially looking at low insurance group cars, so out of these 4 guess which is the cheapest to insure

VW Polo 1.0 , Audi A3 1.6, Fiat Punto1.2 , Ford Fiesta 1.4

All cars of similar vintage MY 2001 -2002

The fiesta

Judging by your question I'd say the Audi, but would have otherwise said the Fiesta too.

I did notice that but I would have thought that cost of replacement parts and labour rates would be higher on the Porsche.

While cost of parts for the insured car will feature in the premium calculation I suspect the major factors are the car’s track record in terms of accidents ( affected by type of person that buys the car) and the insured driver(s) attributes such as age, previous claims, convictions , abode etc.

^ lucky woman to be getting an Audi A3 as a first car. Fiesta Popular Plus did me :)

I've been looking into this, after my Stepson said that his dad had told him that he could have his car when he has passed his test (BMW 760 Li). £16k insurance quote has put him off!

But I did look around and quotes for BMW compacts etc were less than Clio, Saxo and so on. Third party. I suspect it's risk profile. Lots of young drivers crash their Clio's etc. Not so many crash A3's so seen as lower risk and hence cheaper, although in reality the reduced numbers are down to fewer young drivers.

Still it's useful to be able to play the insurance company's on their rules.

^ lucky woman to be getting an Audi A3 as a first car. Fiesta Popular Plus did me :)

I never said I was buying her one :D

(but probably will)

My fist car Hillman Avenger 1.5 GL :doh:

I never said I was buying her one :D

(but probably will)

I think it may have the same 1.6 FSI engine as they use in the A2. If it has, then they seem to be reliable. Most engine issues relate to coil packs. Also, as ever but more than most, the fuel efficiency figures are very hard to achieve, but improve with higher RON fuel. HTH.

Audi by a mile 34% cheaper than the cheapest of the other 3 :dk:

Insurance companies are not silly, they know the Audi will be in the shop for at least 40% of the time, so your daughter will be walking alot.:)

2002 Honda S2000 £783

2002 Jaguar XKR £783

It's funny but I do this kind of thing once in a while. I have always thought that the XKR insurance was available at a great price considering the performance on offer and the value of the potential repair costs.

In the comparison I have highlighted above, I know which one I would have for the same outlay - a no-brainer!

It's funny but I do this kind of thing once in a while. I have always thought that the XKR insurance was available at a great price considering the performance on offer and the value of the potential repair costs.

In the comparison I have highlighted above, I know which one I would have for the same outlay - a no-brainer!

The S2000 isn't exactly cheap to buy either, considering its new retail price.

With a limited mileage policy it may be possible to get the XKR on a classic policy (Jaguar Owner's Club?), reducing the price further :)

Last edited:
Audi by a mile 34% cheaper than the cheapest of the other 3 :dk:

I would be concerned that that's a mistake - all other things being equal, the car is surely rated by its group so the Audi should be way dearer?

I've seem internet threads were people have bought cars on the strength of an insurance quote and then the insurer has refused to honour it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom