Farewell Audi, Welcome Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

velocette

I have been considering changing my miley but utterly reliable Audi A6 2.5 tdi for a Merc for a while, no great panic but with limited funds swapping one reliable old car for an unknown but still secondhand one seemed a risk not worth rushing into. However I did the deal today and could not resist a 1995 E class 300 diesel, the last of the W124 series with the immediately identifiable if inelegant louvres in the offside wing. One owner, long MOT, 79k guaranteed miles, stamped service book, leather, auto and air con. It looks as if all the windows and sunroof work OK, rear suspension seems good and the bodywork looks very nice apart from a few minor dings - Chips Away here we come! The price was nominally 4.5k but I got a very good trade in on the Audi (same year but 132k) which meant rather less actual cash changing hands.

The car drives very well and any initial misgivings are long forgotten. There is a whiffy diesel smell and it looks as there is a slight leak from the top of the fuel filter to be investigated in more detail tomorrow. Also I have yet to decide if the air con actually pumps out cold air or not, which means it probably doesnt. My plan is to put the car into good, sound condition and then run it to starship miles, which I understand is perfectly feasible with these vehicles. I intend to have the fluids - auto transmission fluid, brake and coolant changed and get the air con regassed. In due course I shall look for some tasteful Merc alloys to replace the steel rims at present on the car. As a novice to the world of Merc motoring I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to what to check/look out for/fix now rather than later. So thanks in advance for any suggestions from the cognescenti represented in this forum, and I hope that I can now make my own modest contribution now that I have the gunsight on the bonnet!

Cheers V

Welcome to the forum!

My uncle has a 95 E class 300TurboDiesel estate, and it currently has over 500000 kilometers on the dial and is still going strong. He lives in Poland and drives all over Eastern Europe and Russia with it trading in whatever can be, and says he'll never get another car.

Unfortunately this is one of the reasons I bought my 2000 E class 320cdi estate, which is a rustbucket and will probably fall apart in a couple of years :-S

But your car is of the old school, and will still be driving when everyone else is living on Mars.

-simon

Hi velocette and welcome.
You have made a sound choice and nice to hear of someone still being able to pick up a "nearly new" 124 diesel, don't spare the horses whilst still running in though the 24V engine likes to be driven. :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom