Farewell Mercedes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big_Stick

After 6 months of owning my first M-B, a new C-Class, I have sold it.

I heard the rumours about the suspect build quality. But I thought I'd ignore them and put my money where my mouth is.

I was a fool.

1. Poor bonnet alignment on delivery.
2. Poor bodywork panel finish.
3. Visible poor metallic paint finish on bonnet (peculiar 'crop circles' 3 ins diameter-dealer cannot get them out).
4. Excessive incurable wind noise from passenger door (despite What Car? advert by DaimlerChrysler to the contrary).
5. Interior trim fallen off/ worn.
6. Interior carpet incorrectly fitted by factory; electrical cables showing through.
7. Stereo problems-needed new bonded rear screen to fix.
8. Rattles. Rattles. Rattles.
9. Dealer wants £10 a day for the courtesy car. And is no better than a Fiat dealer in attitude.
10. A-service £275. Ouch.

There's more...but you get the picture. I accepted an out of court settlement from the dealer.

It has been replaced with a Toyota Avensis.

The only good about Mercedes is the brand image; their cars (or at least the C-Class) is very mediocre.

So put away your beer goggles and ignore the M-B hype.

I love my '92 E class .......... ;)

They don't make 'em like they used to..

Is that a CE i see before me Mr Janner ? those babies are built to last ....

A shame you had had troubles.

Have you had many new cars? What did you drive previously?

What do you think of the Avensis?

Were you expecting as much from it, compared to your original hopes for the MB or did you only compare it to the perhaps trouble individual vehicle you had?

What are you comments about this thread?

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6696

Lots of questions, just interested and trying to quantify your comments into some perspective for my personal knowledge.

Last edited:
Shame, but you can't be blamed for feeling like that after what you have been through.
I have had a few problems with my current W211 but overall the car is brilliant as was proved the other day when I borrowed a 430 thing.
It was so bland I can't even remember the model but it was big, boring and soooo japanese style boring dashboard it made me so glad to get back in the Merc.
I hope you get on better with the Avensis.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I think bad cars come off the production line of every manufacturer. you have been very unlucky with such a crop of trouble on one car.

I'm selling my C class after 3 months but thats because I find it boring and the seats are too hard/uncomfortable. I belive leather ones are better. The build is also not as good as my previous W210 E55 or W202 C230K .

Still I am still a merc fan and am keeping the ML & soon getting an R129 SL.

I personally dont like Jap cars but I hope you enjoy your new Avensis.

Howard said:
I love my '92 E class .......... ;)

I love my '03 E Class :cool:

I had a Lexus before this and the Mercedes is a much better car, design, build quality, ride, performance etc.

Reliability and standard equipment aren't as good, but I did have a lot of warranty claims on the Lexus.

Hi Big Stick,
Sorry to hear about your Car Troubles.
I have a 53 C180 se adv and cannot fault it. :bannana:
I reseached the model well before i bought it and of course examined it before parting with my hard earned cash. :rock:
I went for leather seating because as an earlier post indicates it is more comfortable than cloth.

I find the service costs are competitive with other main dealers. I am totally impressed with Road range Birkdale they bend over backwards to help (ooo err!! :eek: )
I hope you are happier with your Toyota, having once owned a Landcruiser i would not wish to deal with their monkey boy mechanics again. :crazy:

Happy Motoring
Joe

Last edited:
a 99 W202 here and still over the moon with it, bad luck to have so many issues

I love my Merc's (plural) both W124's and rock solid. They may be old but they were built to last. Sorry to hear that you have had the missfortune to own a Friday car. I once had a Honda................and you thought Mercs were bad :eek: nough said.

Big_Stick said:
After 6 months of owning my first M-B, a new C-Class, I have sold it.

I heard the rumours about the suspect build quality. But I thought I'd ignore them and put my money where my mouth is.

I was a fool.

1. Poor bonnet alignment on delivery.
2. Poor bodywork panel finish.
3. Visible poor metallic paint finish on bonnet (peculiar 'crop circles' 3 ins diameter-dealer cannot get them out).
4. Excessive incurable wind noise from passenger door (despite What Car? advert by DaimlerChrysler to the contrary).
5. Interior trim fallen off/ worn.
6. Interior carpet incorrectly fitted by factory; electrical cables showing through.
7. Stereo problems-needed new bonded rear screen to fix.
8. Rattles. Rattles. Rattles.
9. Dealer wants £10 a day for the courtesy car. And is no better than a Fiat dealer in attitude.
10. A-service £275. Ouch.

There's more...but you get the picture. I accepted an out of court settlement from the dealer.

It has been replaced with a Toyota Avensis.

The only good about Mercedes is the brand image; their cars (or at least the C-Class) is very mediocre.

So put away your beer goggles and ignore the M-B hype.

Now tell us the paint and panel finish is vastly superior on the Toyota. I want to hear how much better a cheaper car is where all the advanced safety features are optional extras.

Ditto what's been said about your bad luck - I love my SLK320 - it's the best car I've ever owned and love it to bits :D Sorry you didn't have that same experience :(

I have a 2002 C220CDI Estate with all the goodies and build quality is top notch. I have previously driven SAAB's and the MB is in a class of its own. I have said this before and Ill say it again, my local dealer (Isaac Agnews, Belfast) are simply superb - check out the Saturday Club where you can pop in, have the car washed for free whilst you read the papers, guzzle coffe and buns etc!! I honestly havent experienced any of the quality issues you list. Did you test drive a c class before purchase? Did you see any of these quality issues before you bought?

The new C class interior in my opinion have lost some solidity (or impression of) maybe it's the styling which makes it look more downmarket. After jumping out of a VW Passat and into a C class the C doesn't compare well (highly subjective of course). As regards design details, the electric window switches are oddly placed on the door bin, the auto box gear selection is 'lefthand drive' design (Letters are on the left of the stick) and I dislike the half eliptical instrumentation, much preferring full circular dials.

I have no complaints about the exterior styling.. one of the best! Though J. Clarkson I believe referred to the headlamp styling 'expression' (if you liken them to be the eyes of the car) as if somebody had stuck a cucumber up the car's behind, with a rather surprised or startled eye popping look :)

The diesel courtesy car I had was certainly very quick and quiet compared to my neighbours 3 series diesel... which really does sound like a van (perhaps it's only 4 cylinder)

Maybe MB are inheriting Chrysler production principles, when it should be the other way around! A Class, V Class, and M Class seem in a different league.

Last edited:
I've had my C220 cdi SE now for a month.. cant fault the interior, build seems excellent in my opinion. i do worry that the paint work is somewhat soft.

My father has replaced his W124 E320 1994 ( retailed with options for £43,000 10 years ago ) for a virtually brand new C220 CDI and it is obvious that the interior materials are slightly flimsier and there is the odd rough edge around the door handle mouldings that you simply didn't get on the older cars.

In real terms Mercedes cars are cheaper than ever right up to S class level and to be profitable they have to " pile em high and sell em cheap ".

My own W124 E36 which is a 1995 model still feels completely bombproof but if its list price with options (£54,000 ) kept pace with inflation it would be completely uncompetitive today.

The fact is that Mercedes has had to drop its top quality finish slightly and the competition from Toyota , Ford , Honda has caught.
Jump from a new Merc into a Honda Accord or even a Focus and there isn't much difference. 10 yrs on the MERC will be more satisfying though.

Dear all,

Thanks for your responses. I based my comparison of the C-Class on my previous ownership of VWs and BMWs. And even the humble but excellent Ford Mondeo, which are the cars I lease in my company.

Some of you will know from previous threads that my other car is a 2003 E55; so I am also comparing the C-Class quality to that, too. Why not? As a customer I am expecting them to be the same quality, not the same power.

Bottom line is that I will not be replacing the C-Class with another. It is simply not good enough and my wife finds the fit and finish not up to expectations.

DaimlerChrysler are the losers.

By the way, the Toyota Avensis is very very good: fit and finish are first rate. And it is simply better value for money.

they are wonderfull cars to drive but not as reliable as the want us to think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom