Farewell, my wonderful CLS55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
5360589990_6afef3b900_b_zpstihy7s0g.jpg

CIMG1325.jpg

DSC_4110.jpg

I can’t believe it, my CLS55 is gone. The man who bought it (and the first person to view it) is a lurker on here, and may decide to reveal himself.

I have been dreading this day; I have tried to avoid this day for 3 years; and yet I have let it go. Deep down, in my heart, this is not the right thing to. However, in my head, I know that 3 cars for a man who walks to work is sheer madness; I am not greedy, at least I don’t think I am.

I am distraught, this whole episode has even affected my sleep and my ability to concentrate. Never has a mechanical object affected me this much.

During 6 years and 50,000 miles, it never once let me down. It never threw any tantrums, it was never badly behaved and it never suffered any self-inflicted injury. It behaved impeccably at all times, even when the soles of its shoes were not quite up to dealing with its incredible strength, thrust, power and ability.

This was my second AMG, one which I had coveted for 3 years before I bought it. From the moment I set eyes on it, I was hooked. What sealed it during the winter test drive was its reflection against the night shop windows in Norwich; it screamed “take me with you”.

To my eyes, the “original” CLS is one of the most elegant, stylish and timeless designs from Mercedes in recent decades. I still look at it now and think, what a beautiful car. Even my 12 year old godson, who is half French and has no interest in cars, said “belle voiture” when he first set eyes on it. It has presence, yet it does not shout about it. It looks amazing, but not sexy enough to cause envy. I have no doubt that it will be classic in years to come.

The build quality is superb; vault like, sturdy and completely solid. You can feel the depth of the engineering and the quality of construction just by interacting with it, touching its surfaces, operating its switches and getting comfortable in its fabulous seats.

It could do a very good impression of a limo, yet it could hunt down and hassle sports cars on A and some B roads. Despite its size and weight, its agility was really quite eye opening. Once it is settled into a corner, you can really feel it digging in and pulling through as you apply the power progressively. Its weight and Airmatic was a plus on bumpy and fast roads .. it retained traction and handling ability while the more hard core sports cars were struggling for grip.

I have waxed lyrical about the supercharged V8, one of AMG’s masterpieces – 10 years and 60,000 miles on, it feels as good, if not better, than the beginning. The responsiveness of the throttle is something I have never ever tired of; whatever speed, and whatever the driving condition, it delivers the power you need or want. All without breaking a sweat or a raised eye brow. And accompanied by the most agreeable roar, thunder, burble and grunt. I have never thought “I need more power or torque”, at least not for the kind of driving that I do. I wanted a car with the upgraded Harmon Kardon sound system; I never missed not having it. All the sounds you hear are completely analogue and real, there’s no engine mapping to make it fart, cackle or crackle, and there are no speakers to amplify the sound.

The weight of the steering was mostly spot on; what it lacked in feel, it delivered in sufficient crispness and accuracy – this is a Mercedes after all, not a hyper active Caterham. Very quickly, I adapted to its foibles and character and grew to enjoy steering the car; the “tank”, as my nieces called it.

It has 8 piston front brakes (it tickled me to see the 4 separate brake pads being fitted to each brake caliper) and 4 piston rears. They have been tireless, with decent feel and excellent retardation. They do their job so well you don’t notice them until you put your foot to the floor and it stops much sooner and in much less distance than you expected. It could get a bit too hot when descending mountain passes however :D

As a place to be, the interior is cosseting, yet spacious. It’s luxurious but not plush. The designo leather is a highlight; it looks spot on, and feels soft, natural and is of very high quality. As the interface to the car for your body, it is peerless. Headroom is fine once you have contorted your body a bit to get under the graceful arch of the roof line.

Surely there must have been irritations, you ask? The only one I can think of is the occasional jerkiness of the gearbox when slowing down. And the sunroof refusing to close fully at high speed (problem solved by slowing down and opening rear windows slightly). I would also have liked steering wheel paddles rather than buttons, and alcantara roof lining.

The CLS55 has been the most capable all round and enjoyable car I have owned. I will miss it so very much, I will think about it often and I will always fondly remember the pleasure and joy it has given me. Above all, I am very lucky to have been its friend for 6 sensational years. May it live on, and live on for a very long time. Good bye, baby.

I'm sure the new owner will love the car as much as you did, it is certainly a credit to you with regards to how great it looks in those photos.

Love the colour combination, the CLS is a really beautiful looking car.

I think the CLS 55 will definitely become a future classic; a design that broke the mould and an engine that's more addictive than crack.

I couldn't believe it when you put it up for sale, part of the reason I flip cars so quick is so I don't get attached so I can only imagine how you're feeling, I bet it's like having a death in the family....

Did you tell him you thrashed it around the track? (smiley face)

Oh noes Sean. Not a good day, but I know the feeling. I got up to 4 cars at one point, it all gets a bit silly. Now down to 2, still not sure I let the right 2 go..

At least you've the Morgan to look forward to!

Cheers,

Gaz

That's a lovely looking car, I can see why you'll miss it! It's funny how you get attached to cars, I adore my Volvo xc70 and it's **** in comparison to that!!!

It transported me the 202 miles back to Cheshire in comfort safety, with only the occasional howl from the engine - we are still getting to know each other. I can only hope that it gives me as much joy as it has you.

how great it looks in those photos.

I'm afraid Nick hasn't seen it clean. I had no time to clean it.

so I can only imagine how you're feeling, I bet it's like having a death in the family....

it feels a bit like saying good bye to relative you know you won't see again as you live thousands of miles away

Did you tell him you thrashed it around the track? (smiley face)

he knows now, and also from the pic in this thread

I am not a driving god, so the AMG never really was thrashed .. much !

I got up to 4 cars at one point

like a woman who cannot have too many shoes, a man cannot have too many cars

It's funny how you get attached to cars

I have never been this attached to any physical thing

It transported me the 202 miles back to Cheshire in comfort safety, with only the occasional howl from the engine - we are still getting to know each other. I can only hope that it gives me as much joy as it has you.

keep the leather clean and supple please :)

Sean, I still can't quite believe it....

Me either but it looks like it's gone to an enthusiast owner so it doesn't look like it's gone. Just being cared for somewhere else.

Great post-still miss my v8 cls more than 3 years on and agree still the best looking mb in my opinion.

You nearly had me in tears Sean :( I know I would feel exactly the same if I sold the CL, fortunately I am of an age, that I don't have to :thumb:

Hope the Morgan fulfils your expectations.

I saw 3 CLSs on the road today .. that was tough

as is looking at the empty parking space

but it feels OK now, I am getting used to the idea of no CLS, no Merc and no AMG

Not surprised you are missing the car. Great looking and super performance when you need it. Hopefully the Morgan will adequately replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom