Fast Car, Young Driver, Inevitable Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A £5000 fine. Thats enough to buy 5 tired wrx's for when they get seized

I must say I have found mercedes and volvo cheaper to insure in comparison with other makes. even when not a fair comparison between engine/performance

The stupid thing is I had a brand new megane sport 225 at 20 and it was 600 quid to insure, and that was only 8 years ago, our kid had a Clio 200 and that was 1100 at 20 for that

I'm sure your son would be fine driving the car at 20 John, and sensible enough!
Unfortunately most are not! It's not like he'll never be able to get one
Like everything the few ruin it

I started with a Mini to get the no claims up but at 19 had a 205Gti... loved it !!!

Drove it quicker than any much quicker cars I have had since, no ABS, no traction, no anything really but driving Minis gets you used to fwd cars pretty well.

Still think the 205Gti is a great shape by the way :)

My lad is just 17 and we are getting quotes now, a clio 1.5 D £4000.

If we buy a Mini cooper and I insure it with the wife and my lad as a named drivers,
My lad just on a provisional licence as we teach him to drive £1400 but then £6000 when he passes his test.
So the result I take him to work and back!

I'm sure your son would be fine driving the car at 20 John, and sensible enough!
Unfortunately most are not! It's not like he'll never be able to get one
Like everything the few ruin it

On the positive side, at least he's got petrol in his veins :thumb:.

When I was 18 I wanted to buy an old sports car. Worked hard to earn enough to buy it but not to run and insure it. My Dad refused to help me out [ although he helped me out later with a less ambitious motor] Looking back now its quite possible I'm still around because of his better judgement.:thumb:

"On the positive side, at least he's got petrol in his veins :thumb:"

Your current brum brum isn't helping him either I bet !!!

:)

No problem... Daddy can pay for it :D

I would be more worried about leaving him home alone with the AMG keys when he has passed his test... Temptation... Because I have done it myself hehe.

The only way to do it is have him as a named driver and not the policy holder.
Worst quote I got was £13,000 for Lexus gs300 when I was 17. The car was only worth £5k

My insurance is still cheaper if I put swmbo on as a driver! Its the same with hers.

How shocked were you?

The best thing to do with that exercise is to get quotes on a sample of 10-15 different cars.
That's what really teaches a good lesson.
Has he got any other options or heart completely set on a WRX?

How shocked were you?

The best thing to do with that exercise is to get quotes on a sample of 10-15 different cars.
That's what really teaches a good lesson.
Has he got any other options or heart completely set on a WRX?

I wasn't shocked at all, other than to see that there were companies that would insure him.

He was very shocked, as at 16, insurance wasn't something he's paid much attention to.

We'll look more closely when he's a bit older.

To be honest preventing young inexperienced drivers from getting their hands on extremely powerful rally type cars is a good thing IMHO. In every ten young drivers, for every budding Kimi Räikkönen there are nine others who would end up killing themselves, some of their mates, and a few innocent passers by.
Pretty much conclusive evidence of this in terms of brain development exist now which implies there should actually be a legal restriction on the type of vehicle young people can drive till their early twenties. :dk: The Teenage Brain-- Why Do Teenagers Think Differently than Adults?

To be honest preventing young inexperienced drivers from getting their hands on extremely powerful rally type cars is a good thing IMHO. In every ten young drivers, for every budding Kimi Räikkönen there are nine others who would end up killing themselves, some of their mates, and a few innocent passers by.

He's rally mad, hence the Subaru - when we found this photo of Mikko sat in what eventually became our car, he was beside himself :rock:

Pretty much conclusive evidence of this in terms of brain development exist now which implies there should actually be a legal restriction on the type of vehicle young people can drive till their early twenties. :dk: The Teenage Brain-- Why Do Teenagers Think Differently than Adults?

Totally agree. He needs to earn the right to drive a powerful rally car. That only comes with experience. He won't get any experience if he's dead or seriously inured, never mind the potential damage he could do to other innocent road users.

Hmmm I see a big resemblance to Moto GP rider Colin Edwards.
riders_49_02.jpg

Totally agree. He needs to earn the right to drive a powerful rally car. That only comes with experience. He won't get any experience if he's dead or seriously inured, never mind the potential damage he could do to other innocent road users.

You would think so .I 've seen online many young drivers/big bhp/cheap insurance.
With insurers it's all about Location, location, location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom