Fast growing garden hedge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V12

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI LWB
What's a good sturdy fast growing hedge that I can use to replace the old wooden fence?

Downside of laurel I found was that it's a bit of a pig to cut with a hedge cutter and get a neat finish. I know leylandi is a bit topical, but properly done is OK. Let it grow 2ft past the top height you want, cut it back 3ft then let it grow back to required final height before topping. Remember to plant far enough inside your boundary to allow for the width of the hedge - our neighbour planted his (years before we moved here) pretty much on the boundary, with the result that it now overhangs 2-3ft of our front lawn - and to cut it back to the boundary would leave an unsightly mess!

Apart from laurel, which is quickest, Escallonia, Grisellinia or Photinia (the latter is red during the growing season and very showy). Otherwise, slower but very nasty to get through, Hawthorn and Pyrocantha - the latter has bright red, orange or yellow berries, which gives shelter to birds as well as winter food).

Yew is worth waiting for.....and it is not as slow growing as some would have you believe.

Mic

Just checked the growing speed of Pyracantha which is more like 50cm a year. I pruned mine for training this year but checking I realised how large they have become.

A particularly good one:

pyracantha-hedge.jpg

You need chain mail gloves when timming Pyracantha, the thorns are lethal.

Could be a good deterrant for anti-social behaviour by the local yobs!

You need chain mail gloves when timming Pyracantha, the thorns are lethal.

Could be a good deterrant for anti-social behaviour by the local yobs!
The local Crime Prevention Officer described mine thus: "a very nice example of burglaris disembowelis you have there, sir". :D

Downside of laurel I found was that it's a bit of a pig to cut with a hedge cutter and get a neat finish. I know leylandi is a bit topical, but properly done is OK. Let it grow 2ft past the top height you want, cut it back 3ft then let it grow back to required final height before topping. Remember to plant far enough inside your boundary to allow for the width of the hedge - our neighbour planted his (years before we moved here) pretty much on the boundary, with the result that it now overhangs 2-3ft of our front lawn - and to cut it back to the boundary would leave an unsightly mess!
I totally agree with your comment. We were in a similar position, leylandii hedge planted on the boundary resulted in the hedge taking over our borders. We eventualy had to enrol the support of the Council in having it removed.
We now have a Pyracanthra hedge around the rear garden in our latest home. It is ideal, grows upto two feet per year and flowers in the spring with red or orange berries in the autumn which attract the birds during the winter. Thorns also act as a deterrent to intruders.

Hornbeam is good, similar appearance to beech, but quicker growing.

I think for a boundary hedge evergreen is preferable.

Mic

If a bush is not well trimmed somehow it tickles my nose and makes me sneeze!

If none of the above meets your ideal then consider a good Beech hedge it is last to drop it's leaves and forms a great thick dense and cheap hedging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom