Fastest route: Calais to Avignon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
I'm thinking of driving this route and wondered which is the recommended fastest route, and what the Peages will cost? Any tips? Probably driving at night to minimise traffic hassle.

Personally I would go calais - reims - dijon - lyon - avignon, michelin maps says

Costs193.60 €with a Petrolvehicle
Toll 82.10 € | Petrol 111.5 € | Road tax €
Time09h44 with 09h12 on motorways Distance986 km with 961 km on motorways

As Jouk suggests try the Route Planner on the ViaMichelin site as it gives you the toll charges for the route selected (quite accurate, but often a few euro's out). My experience is that the driving times it calculates are pretty accurate.

Last month diesel was €1.26 at Super U. Much cheaper than petrol so go across empty if you can and a tankful should see you there. Plenty fillups just off the ferry or tunnel if you head direction Sangatte including good Total or Avia on Av. Roger Salengro just off the D940 two mins from J43 on A16

In comparison Autoroute diesel was €1.45 iirc. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info chaps, I'll take a look on ViaMichelin.

Druk, where is that cheap Super U petrol station you mentioned? I hate paying motorway fuel prices unless it's in Luxembourg.

...where is that cheap Super U petrol station you mentioned?
There is a great government-run website Prix des carburants en France that lists fuel station prices throughout the country. Just sort on the "prix du..." column to find the cheapest locations by Departement. There's even a route planner feature that shows you the location of fuel stations on your route.

Thanks for the info chaps, I'll take a look on ViaMichelin.

Druk, where is that cheap Super U petrol station you mentioned? I hate paying motorway fuel prices unless it's in Luxembourg.

Most small villages/towns have a Super U or Intermarche and they're well signed from said village. SU is usually the cheapest. Those that insist on branded fuel would be well disappointed in France as often the local supermarket is the only fuel for miles. The Total in Sangatte mentioned above was only 1 or 2c dearer and is where we filled up before the Chunnel on our return.

Parking is a nightmare in Avignon - plan ahead on that one and contact the hotel for advice as satnavs cannot cope with the narrow streets inside the city walls.

Unless of course you are staying outside then it will be fine ;)

S

Parking is a nightmare in Avignon - plan ahead on that one and contact the hotel for advice as satnavs cannot cope with the narrow streets inside the city walls.

Unless of course you are staying outside then it will be fine ;)

S

Thanks for the info. Not actually staying in Avignon, but that's the nearest city en route, and where I'll exit the autoroute, or perhaps at Cavaillon.

You don't say when you are going, but generally "traffic hassle" in France is minimal, and certainly not enough to warrant travelling at night. You may get the odd queue at a toll, but this can be avoided by using a toll tag - ATMB or SANEF, the former, in my experience, being the cheaper.

Here's something to be wary of at night:-

French lay-by bandits prey on holiday Britons | Daily Mail Online

I've read of one or two similar instances this year.

You may get the odd queue at a toll, but this can be avoided by using a toll tag - ATMB or SANEF, the former, in my experience, being the cheaper.

I will second getting the toll tag, got one this year and it was brilliant, probably shaved 30 minutes off the journey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom