Fastest WiFi? Or ideas on how to wire the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So I did something silly again without thinking it through...

I saw an offer for fiber internet (10Gbit/s down and another 10Gbit/s up), which cost little (sub-50 quid per month), so ordered it.

Now, before I start cancelling my previous provider and all the rest, I realized there's no way I can use that! My desktop has two gigabit NICs, but is nowhere near the fiber breakout box. (Current provide is 1Gbit/s synchronous, and over coaxial).

So, to bridge the gap (about 5-6 meters, across a living room and through one wall), I need options... I have a few spare wireless dongles - but they are all N. I could order a wireless ac dongle... but I also have some cables in the walls (but can't tell if they are 5e or 6 - there's no marking on the cable). This sadly doesn't go near my desktop...

So the options I can think of are:
- test the cables, if CAT6 (or otherwise, if they support 10G), swap the office and bedroom around so that I can hardwire the desktop, and then upgrade the NIC...
- stick to Wireless AC with a new dongle
- stick to wireless N, I probably wont notice the difference...
- something else that I haven't considered? (I've seen some posts of a 10G powerline adapter... does anyone have experience with these?)

You are correct that you won't be able to use 10Gb on any single PC. But it would work well if you had several PCs in the house all downloading and watching 4k TV at the same time etc...

(Running 10GbE NIC and cables inside your house will be far too expensive)

Said that... 10Gb Internet at home sound unlikely.... can you post a link to the offer? I know that both Hyperoptic and Virgin offer cheap 1Gb connections in some areas, but haven't heard yet of 10Gb connections made available to residential users.

Bloody hell. Something Swiss that isn't a rip-off. Whatever next?

Cheers,

Gaz

Bloody hell. Something Swiss that isn't a rip-off. Whatever next?

Cheers,

Gaz
That made me laugh out loud, literally.
It even comes with a fixed IP...

I think they are counting on no-one being able to actually use the bandwidth...

That site doesn't even allow you to enter a UK address?

I assume this is for a none UK address?

That site doesn't even allow you to enter a UK address?

I assume this is for a none UK address?

Yes it’s Switzerland...

If you pair your NICs, can you dedicate one to gigabit up, and the other to down? - That's about the only way I can think to maximise the connection on a single PC.

I'd probably run from the modem to a switch, then lay Cat6 to the PC. - I did something similar here with cable internet, but I installed two additional access points with the same SSID to give coverage for all the mobile and unwired devices.

What spec of PC do you have as there are not many that can keep up with 10gbit (<>1.2Gb/s)?
It is really designed for multiple concurrent connections so stick with 1gbit on your PC.

What spec of PC do you have as there are not many that can keep up with 10gbit (<>1.2Gb/s)?
It is really designed for multiple concurrent connections so stick with 1gbit on your PC.
The one I have here is fairly old... 2x 8core processors and 32GB of ram if memory serves. I think the limitation will be primarily the write speed of the HDDs, as I have them in raid 5 (4 drives, but not particularly fast ones), so I reckon that will be the limit...

If I can convince SWMBO, I may bring over the 42u rack from London and stash it int the guest room... but that would entail running some Cat6 cable. Then I could use the NAS for storage,...

Good luck with that one..... :eek:
It used to be in my bedroom...when my (now ex) moved in, the rack moved out. That's when I realized that over time, it had bowed the floorboards.

It's now in the office in London, and running a very cut down set. Most of the rack is now redundant equipment, that has been replaced and surpassed by a single ESX server. I still have Spike's "washing machine" (a large raid array filled with SCSI drives of 9Gb each or so)... It's now more of a ballast for the rack then anything else, but every now I then I'll power it up :p

It used to be in my bedroom...when my (now ex) moved in, the rack moved out. That's when I realized that over time, it had bowed the floorboards.

It's now in the office in London, and running a very cut down set. Most of the rack is now redundant equipment, that has been replaced and surpassed by a single ESX server. I still have Spike's "washing machine" (a large raid array filled with SCSI drives of 9Gb each or so)... It's now more of a ballast for the rack then anything else, but every now I then I'll power it up :p

600MB RA60 disks (2 to a 19" rack if I remember correctly) anybody? :eek:

If I can convince SWMBO, I may bring over the 42u rack from London and stash it int the guest room... but that would entail running some Cat6 cable. Then I could use the NAS for storage,...

Make it a 47U one, you'll thank me for the extra U later when you'll have to go and sleep in it....

10Gig Powerline communication is pure fantasy!
I seem to have found 1G powerline adapter... not a 10G... still don't think I'll get that throughput though. The real question is -1G powerline of wifi AC?

Make it a 47U one, you'll thank me for the extra U later when you'll have to go and sleep in it....
You joke, but when it was moved out - and she saw it empty - her comment was that it would make a great wardrobe... and "all we had to do was throw out the loud junk inside". (and suddenly I realize when that relationship started falling apart :p)

Keep in mind this one is a beaut. She's not one of those old beige things, but a charcoal grey rack, front full door and rear split door. Side panels on swing-clips (so you can remove them, or just swing them open like doors when a cage nut falls behind something). Oh, and 4x 120mm fans at the top...

I seem to have found 1G powerline adapter... not a 10G... still don't think I'll get that throughput though. The real question is -1G powerline of wifi AC?

You joke, but when it was moved out - and she saw it empty - her comment was that it would make a great wardrobe... and "all we had to do was throw out the loud junk inside". (and suddenly I realize when that relationship started falling apart :p)

Keep in mind this one is a beaut. She's not one of those old beige things, but a charcoal grey rack, front full door and rear split door. Side panels on swing-clips (so you can remove them, or just swing them open like doors when a cage nut falls behind something). Oh, and 4x 120mm fans at the top...

Black mesh doors....? Ooooh sexy ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom