Fatality as 2012 M-Class Prototype Crashes On Autobahn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
One man was killed and a Daimler test driver was injured in an accident on Autobahn A81 near Rottweil, Germany. In the early morning hours of the April 23 the 52-year-old Daimler employee was testing a 2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class prototype SUV when he struck a 26-year-old man exiting his vehicle.

Moments before, the younger man had a problem with his vehicle that led to a minor collision with a guard rail on the left side median. Two other motorists, aged 29 and 57, stopped to assist the man when the M-Class approached at a high rate of speed. Apparently not seeing the accident site, the Daimler driver crashed into the other vehicle as the 26-year-old was emerging from his own car.

The test driver's vehicle flipped over, and travelled an additional 250 feet before coming to rest on its roof. Emergency responders transported the test driver to the hospital with serious injuries.

Neither of the two good samaritans required treatment in a hospital, as both managed to jump over the guard rail to safety. Only the 57-year-old received minor injuries, likely from the fall. A video of the accident shows damage to a third car, possibly the vehicle driven by the roadside assistants.

The crash took place on a stretch of A81 that connects Singen and Stuttgart, where Mercedes-Benz and Porsche prototypes are often tested under the cover of darkness. There is no posted speed limit on that stretch of motorway.

Police have not yet determined the responsible party, and the cause of the accident is still under investigation. Property damage at the scene was estimated at €80,000.

13943027502043314181.jpg

8240025.jpg

3926006.jpg

3972193.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed very sad.

Not heard of a prototype being involved in anything like this before.

Early hours of the morning aswell. Surely they would have not done potentially risky tests on a Public highway with the Prototype lacking the final lighting units? so was the driver using it out of work ours?

Who knows!

Last edited:
Early hours of the morning aswell. Surely they would have not do potentially risky tests on a Public highway with the Prototype lacking the final lighting units? so was the driver using it out of work ours?

Who knows!

The clues are out there...

Article said:
The crash took place on a stretch of A81 that connects Singen and Stuttgart, where Mercedes-Benz and Porsche prototypes are often tested under the cover of darkness. There is no posted speed limit on that stretch of motorway

Not wishing to judge without all the facts but I'm sure MB have access to equivalant test tracks to Millbrook, MIRA, TRL etc. So there would be no need for them to do excessive speeds on a public highway.

A sad story none the less.

Sad news indeed.

However, I am quite impressed with the state of the car, doesn't look like its crushed in any way what-so-ever, considering it got flipped...

Not wishing to judge without all the facts but I'm sure MB have access to equivalant test tracks to Millbrook, MIRA, TRL etc. So there would be no need for them to do excessive speeds on a public highway.

A sad story none the less.

I only have experience of testing at MIRA and despite having the Banked High Speed circuit "triangular bowl", constant high cruising speed is difficult because you have to back off for the "corners" - if you want to maintain anything close to a constant speed you're governed by the speed you can take the corners at.

Is there actually any evidence yet of "excessive" speed being involved?

The car the M Class hit had stopped on a possibly unlit motorway after an accident ... could have been a black car side-on, for all we know. Which would have been a tricky scenario (and huge impact) even at 120 kph (75 mph).

More Pictures HERE - Wont post them here (Not gory or anything, just not tasteful)

Virtually nothing left of the car it hit :(

More Pictures HERE

That's quite rare to separate the firewall and front end structure from the main body shell. Looks like a side impact to me and a very nasty one at that.

A solemn debate considering the outcome, but vehicle (in)compatibility is a serious issue. 4x4 load paths don't line up with conventional cars and over/under-run can cause nasty injuries.

Last edited:
It would appear that the fatality could well have known nothing about it (i.e. killed instantly) judging by the photos. I also doubt that him emerging from his vehicle would have made him any more vulnerable. It would still have been fatal if he was sat in the car with his seatbelt on.

What a horrible incident. :(

The motor industry in general does a great deal of 'on road' testing of protype cars in order that we have the best possible vehicles.
I suspect that the number of fatal accidents involving prototype cars is no higher in terms of miles travelled than the 'civilian' sector.
Just a very unfotunate incident on this occasion.
Whenever there is a accident on an unrestriced road, statistics indicate it is much more likley to be fatal.

Having seen the pictures of the car that was hit, the ML was definitely travelling at high speed!

From that link:

It is not the first time that a Mercedes test driver is involved in a fatal accident: In July 2003, Rolf F. had by pushing on the A5 near Karlsruhe caused an accident - a 21-year-old woman and her two year old daughter were killed . Rolf F. was sentenced to a suspended sentence of one year.

Whenever there is a accident on an unrestriced road, statistics indicate it is much more likley to be fatal.
I'm sure that's true, but in this case the guy that died was (I think) out of the car ... if so, not a surprising outcome.

Sadly, in this case at least, I don't think that would have made any difference.

I certainly hear what you are saying, but the average visible distance at night does not change with speed.....you just have a much shorter time to stop if you are travelling quicker.
At 60mph you might just stop in the illuminated area. At 120mph you have no chance.
In this instance it seems that if the ML had been able to stop it might have made a difference.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom