Fault code 5501 Critical Vehicle Level at Rear Axle???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
My car only has air suspension at the rear.
It went flat to the floor a couple of days ago and the pump won't kick it.
The garage says it had a fault that read Pump Enabled Ready to Work (ignore this fault) and 5501 Critical Vehicle Level at Rear Axle. He cleared both and only the second one came back on.

Problem is, it doesn't tell us what is wrong.

Any ideas???

Level sensor?

Has the code been read on a generic code reader or STAR?

If it’s generic, then maybe it cannot interrogate the codes sufficiently to read which item is at fault?

Can you hear pump running? Could be a leak in system/bag

Level sensor?

Has the code been read on a generic code reader or STAR?

If it’s generic, then maybe it cannot interrogate the codes sufficiently to read which item is at fault?

Can you hear pump running? Could be a leak in system/bag
It's been read on a generic code reader.
The pump isn't running.
There is a leak somewhere on the system because it's been going down slowly for a while, but it always takes about a week and never as low as it is now. The pump usually just kicks in when I fire up the engine in the morning and pumps it up a bit.
The other day it went down flat in a little over a day and the pump has not kicking in since.

Could be that pump has given up after trying too hard to keep up with the leak. If the pump is dead suggest you find the leak (usually one of the air bags) or the new pump won’t last long. The pumps can be mechanically refurbished if you are handy with tools. Might be fuse or relay if the pump is not running.

Could be that pump has given up after trying too hard to keep up with the leak. If the pump is dead suggest you find the leak (usually one of the air bags) or the new pump won’t last long. The pumps can be mechanically refurbished if you are handy with tools. Might be fuse or relay if the pump is not running.
Cheers pal. My mechanic says he will test the pump off the car.

Up date:
The garage has managed to get the pump running when the engine starts but it only runs for about 10 seconds before it cuts out. It doesn't left the car either.
He has swapped the senors over but that made no difference.
The level sensor seems ok because it reads the height if he manually lifts the back end.
He also said the bags looked ok.

Don't know where to go from here??????

The power connector onto the pump is not the best. I had lots of intermittent pump running issues even when pump was changed. Tyrap around the connector and pump body creating more contact sorted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom