Faults developing whilst car is in garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WayneG555

Car
Mercedes E280 CDI Avantgarde
Hi guys. Just looking for a bit of advice on what to do as my car has developed more faults whilst at the dealers!

For a bit of background I have a 2007 E class.

It went into the main dealer last week for a problem with the passenger door. The window and mirror will not work off of the drivers buttons. But will work fine from the passenger side button or the mirror folding when locked. They diagnosed it as the passenger side door module which my aftermarket warranty authorised. Today it has gone back in to be repaired and the error code is now the drivers door module. This isn't a problem really as they replaced it 9 months ago so is covered by their parts warranty (hopefully as my warranty company are saying they won't cover it again!)

Anyway! I got a call about 2 saying could I drop the spare key off as it won't start! I go in after work and they tell me it is dead on the key. It won't even let the key turn or the auto box to move out of park, they had to jack it up and move it like that! They then ask me if I've been having problems as this normally takes a while to fail (I have had no problems other than a flat battery 6 months ago). They are going to try the spare key tomorrow and if not they will look at other bits (not sore what?!) This is going to be an expensive fix I'm told! Is there any way you reckon they may have done something whilst they had it on the ramp?!

Hi,
Four things are very vulnerable in modern cars :-
1) wiring looms - especially as they pass through bulkheads and from car body to doors. (Loom could be faulty in one or both of your doors)
2) connectors - multi pin connectors can get water through their seals and cause all sorts of random faults
3) earthing issues - if one or more earthing points is faulty or corroded - this again causes random faults
4) multiplexing - this reduces the number of wires and reduces size of the wiring looms but it is difficult to diagnose faults (even with the correct kit) and often "ghost faults" occur due to multiple ECUs sharing sensor data. Classic example of this is that vehicle speed is often detected from one of the ABS wheel sensors. If the relevant sensor fails - then all the ECUs that require vehicle speed plus the dashboard, register a fault.
The above all conspire to make it difficult to diagnose faults on all modern cars.
Cheers
Steve

Hope it doesn't end up like that guys S Class a few years ago - robertjrt?

Well it was the key that failed which is a relief. Wish they had told me it could be that yesterday. I was thinking big bill!! Also the fault on the door was a broken wire which they fixed for free! So not a bad result!

So as for the key, can they be repaired. If not, what price am I looking at for a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£240

Cheers for the link. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do. Makes me a bit nervous only having one key!

Just came home and had a stone crack the windscreen. It's not my week [emoji38]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom