faulty cruise/dead battery

SPS

Active Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2002
Messages
65
the car is a c200 1997 uk spec with 5 speed automatic gearbox-79,000 miles

i have a problem with the cruise control not working

this was happening on an intermittent basis whereby it would work sometimes and not at other times.

i suspected a dying battery-as the one in the car was the original one installed in the car when it was new in 1997 -a good 9 years so far!

i suspected this because the engine, despite starting, would turn over slower than usual during startup

today the car refused to start and luckily my son had his cellphone and we called the AA(our equivalent of AAA IN the US)-the tech confirmed a test voltage of 12.2 volts-he came to the verdict that i needed a new battery.
he gave us a jump start and we were on our way home.
i bought a new bosch 100AH battery of similar spec as the one in the car.
it is a heavy one with handles for lifting!.

could the battery be causing the cruise to malfunction intermittently?

i am planning to install the new battery-any tips on do and don't s when carrying out installation?

thanks for your continue help on what is a superb forum.
 

big x

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
1,193
Location
somerset
SPS said:
the car is a c200 1997 uk spec with 5 speed automatic gearbox-79,000 miles

i have a problem with the cruise control not working

this was happening on an intermittent basis whereby it would work sometimes and not at other times.

i suspected a dying battery-as the one in the car was the original one installed in the car when it was new in 1997 -a good 9 years so far!

i suspected this because the engine, despite starting, would turn over slower than usual during startup

today the car refused to start and luckily my son had his cellphone and we called the AA(our equivalent of AAA IN the US)-the tech confirmed a test voltage of 12.2 volts-he came to the verdict that i needed a new battery.
he gave us a jump start and we were on our way home.
i bought a new bosch 100AH battery of similar spec as the one in the car.
it is a heavy one with handles for lifting!.

could the battery be causing the cruise to malfunction intermittently?

i am planning to install the new battery-any tips on do and don't s when carrying out installation?

thanks for your continue help on what is a superb forum.

Your right the cruise control won't work with a battery on the way out.
Just remember to take the negative terminal off first on removal and put it on last with the new battery.A 100ah battery is a good choice.

adam
 

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
5,182
Location
Sunbury
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Other things to check (very common when a CC fails to work) are an intermittent brake light switch and cracked PCB tracks on the CC board.
 
OP
OP
S

SPS

Active Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2002
Messages
65
positive feedback-all is well that ends well!

big x said:
Your right the cruise control won't work with a battery on the way out.
Just remember to take the negative terminal off first on removal and put it on last with the new battery.A 100ah battery is a good choice.

adam

thanks for the response.

i installed the new battery-was quite easy and followed your advice above which was what the aa man also had said.

the best thing was the alarm did not need resetting and the radio code did not need resetting as it had never been activated previously.-i was hoping this was the case as i did not have a code for the radio in the manual for the car.
so for £82 the car is back to its normal self -(the battery was from german and swedish), took it for a road test and cruise control now working again.

:bannana: :D
 
OP
OP
S

SPS

Active Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2002
Messages
65
Stratman said:
Other things to check (very common when a CC fails to work) are an intermittent brake light switch and cracked PCB tracks on the CC board.

thanks for this tip.

where is the cc board located in case i need to look at it?.

touchwood cc is working at present:bannana:
 

230K

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2003
Messages
2,190
Location
Belfast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

CC can stop working if tyres are worn more on the back than on the front, staggered wheel set ups are more prone to others because of slight difference in circumference with different width tyres before wear is taken into account. My C230K with 225/45/17 all round would have played about with the CC with worn tyres.
Also the original Dec 96 battery is still in my old C230K, the guy i sold it to comes back to me for servicing.
Genuine MB 100Ah can be got at our local MB commercial outlet for £50 + vat they are on offer although might be only 2 year warranty

230K
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom