Faulty emergency break?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sarah0690

Car
C350 AMG Sport
Hey,

There is a rattle/scraping noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel on my car (2013 C) when I'm driving along, particularly on bumpy roads. It sounds like something is loose and is progressively getting louder.. I am hoping someone could maybe confirm whether this could be a parking break issue.

I googled the 'symptoms' and I found some pretty old posts saying this was a emergency break issue with something coming loose, but most on them were in 2005/2006, some older. Does this issue still occur on newer models, or could it be something else?

I've checked my discs/pads/wheels and all seems fine I cleaned them all as well and the noise is still there.

I'm going to take it down to a dealer (as I'm assuming it's a warranty fix if it is this..!) but wanted do get clarity beforehand on any other possibilities.

Sarah

The cause on earlier cars that you're referring to is a plastic clip which secures the parking brake cable where it routes above the propshaft. If the clip breaks there is a chance that the cable will drop down and catch of the propshaft.

Don't know if the same applies to 2013 MY cars.

grumpyoldgit said:
The cause on earlier cars that you're referring to is a plastic clip which secures the parking brake cable where it routes above the propshaft. If the clip breaks there is a chance that the cable will drop down and catch of the propshaft. Don't know if the same applies to 2013 MY cars.

Hmmm, it's certainly seeming like it could be the same thing from what I've read, guess if being a common fault Merc should know what to do.... I'll take it to the garage at the weekend.

Update

I took my car into Merc yesterday, basically they looked at the heat shields and repositioned them and looked at the foot brake and nothing there.. So, they called merc technical and apparently they said that quite a few customers have reported this on their cars and they have concluded that this is a 'deflector plate' issue - something to do with the material and they are already sorting out replacement parts.

Therefore I have been told that I have been put on a list of customers to call when they get the parts in so they will replace it under warranty. :thumb:

its not a safety issue or anything and so no cars will be recalled, only fixed if an issue occurs and its reported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom