Faulty Fuel Gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
The last 2 or 3 fill ups the fuel gauge needle only goes up as far as 7/8 and I wait for it to rise over time but no it only drops. Please has anyone else had this problem? And whats the cure?

Thanks
Ian

There was a looong thread on this before we lost it all after the crash...Alott of us have had this problem and its caused by the float assembly in the tank, it is a replaceable part. I had mine done on warranty a while back as my problem was that if you fill it up, it will register empty, but it was an intermittent fault...

Not sure of a cost but its known @ Benz..

Good luck..

Mine started telling me fibs for a few days about a year ago. Fortunately it fixed itself and has been no trouble since. I hope yours does the same.

I had this problem on my last E280, and had two senders under warranty. The only real problem that I had with this car.

According to my dealer it was caused by erosion of the contacts on the sender in the tank by Unleaded petrol. The new senders have modified contacts to resolve the issue.

Fuel Sender

Yup... had the exact same symptoms on our A-Class.

Fixed under warranty by local dealer on the spot, minor job completed in under two hours.

Dealer didn't raise an eyebrow, they have been replacing fuel senders on cars across the range for quite a while.

Andrew

yeah no doubt about it its the tank senders,I change 2 or 3 daily.
if your car is under warranty you are covered but if not you will have to pay.
brian is right the unleaded fuel corrodes the contacts on the senders and the new ones are modified,this affecting just about every merc.
not good if you own an ml as you need to take most of te interior out to get to the sender.

Same problem on my CLK. My car has two sender units - total cost £110 for supply only. The worst part about it was running out of petrol (twice) when my fuel computer glibly told me I had another 100 plus miles left in the tank......

Gents
Thanks for your comments. I have a used Signature warranty, will take it to our friends at MB DARTFORD I am sure they will be pleased to see me and not ban me for claiming.

Cheers
Ian

Originally posted by rirhill
I am sure they will be pleased to see me and not ban me for claiming.

Cheers
Ian

I reckon your kidding your self, as soon as they see you turn up the lights will be switched off and they will all hide behind thier desks :D .

Your bloo_y right there mate. I even know them all by name.
How sad is that.

Cheers
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom