Faulty Indicators 2002 slk(w170)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G Westwood

Help!

Has anyone had this problem on their SLK before?.
Indicators work intermittently.When they don't the bulb warning light comes on.
I've checked the bulbs and all are working because when the hazard switch is pushed in all the indicators flash.
I've replaced the indicator relay but the problem is still there.
In the past, if I pressed the hazard button in repeatedly for about 6 or 7 times it seemed to resolve the problem but not anymore.

Please,Please,Please can anyone help.:(

Had the same issue with my 99SLK, I replaced the complete light switch and solved the intermittent failure of the indicators. Not cheap, but an ok job to do.

Had the same issue with my 99SLK, I replaced the complete light switch and solved the intermittent failure of the indicators. Not cheap, but an ok job to do.
Thanks Graham. Do you mean the main light dial on the right?.

re faulty indicators

I've had this fault too with my 03 slk 230. When I asked for advice here, one of the members suggested it might be to do with dampness causing higher than normal resistances among the bulb monitoring circuits (these work by comparing left and right circuit resistance, difference causing the bulb failure warning to light). This seemed plausible since it usually occurred in wet weather.

Also, in my case switching the lights on and off usually cured the fault - presumably the bulb failure device is part of the main lighting switch.

Someone else then suggested spraying circuit cleaner onto the back of the light switch. I didn't really think this would work, but by then I was totally fed up with the fault, so I bought a can of Maplin aerosol switch cleaner, and sprayed the switch by taking off the fuse box cover at the end of the dash.

And the indicators have worked perfectly ever since - about six months now.

Try it - it's cheaper than a new light switch.

Geoff

:bannana:
Thanks Graham!
You got it bang on.I changed the main switch and everything is "A ok".

Sorry I've not replied but the computer has been broken, had to replace the hard drive.
regards
Gary,

Good to hear all is now working OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom