Faulty Petrol Gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BaldGuy

MB Enthusiast
Car
No longer a Benz...
Well just had a few things sorted at the stealership on warranty on friday, filled the car up with fuel as you do...came out later friday night and the gauge registered empty!!!!!

Called Benz on Saturday and apparently its ANOTHER gremlin that Benz know about...the float gets stuck only when you load the tank right up to the brim.....

Anyone else have this problem??

New warranty list started....

Yes, it happened once to me not long after I got the car. Has not happened again in the 8 Months since though. I hope yours goes away likewise.

I think the faulty petrol guage thing has been a problem for just about every model of MB.

I have the same kind of thing and have researched the problem all over the place. The design of the sender unit seems very delicate indeed and is very prone to sticking (usually midway) but pretty much anywhere really.

If yours doesnt free itself in time, you may have to take the sender out and give it a gentle cleanup....aparently there are two copper strands that measure resistance which are usually to blame. According to the majority of posts I have read, these are best cleaned (very carefully) with a pencil rubber.

Hope you dont have to go that far.

I had this problem intermittently on my previous '86 190E. Touch wood I've not had this happen on my current 'C'.

Anyone know why Vauxhauls seem to take ages for the needle to reach the petrol level, yet other cars the needle jumps instantly to the mark?

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom