Faulty shed paint.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
So, I'm building a shed in the back garden. Doing it bit-by-bit with the initial vertical planking in place and one coat of Cuprinol 'Garden Colours' splashed on.
10 days later after a wee holiday down sarf attempted to paint on a second coat. This is rejected by the first coat with what looks like a wax coating not allowing adhesion. Phones paint makers help-line to be told the instructions on the tin are inadequate and because of the wax content it should have had all three coats within four hours of each other; the marketing dept made a huge mistake when they commissioned the printing on the tins...sorry sorry sorry!! The only way forward is to sand back the first coat and start again. With humble apologies they offer a gratis tin of paint as remedy for their admitted mistake with the printed instructions. I tell them that at 66yrs old and suffering from asthma I'm in no fit state to sand down a 12' x 8' x 8' shed and reject their offer of fresh paint. The complaint has been escalated up the food chain and I've been told to expect a call within three days.

So before a more senior minion phones me back any thoughts on what approach I should be taking with him/her?

Tell them they will be shedding a few tears if they try to give you the brush off.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get me coat (just the one)

First off I thought this was going to be about a god awful paint job on some elderly Mercedes or other. But nay its for real about a shed.

Actions.
1. Practice you heavy breathing for when they phone back.
2. Demand a stripper to come get the first coat off.
3. Fake a hospital admission (asthma attack) when they are due to come.
4. Get Bette to do a complete inspection of the job once finished (they have to apply 3 coats of course)
5. Bette rings you to be released from hospital (the pub) once she is happy with the job.

Ask for £250 to allow you to employ someone to rub it down.

Tell them they will be shedding a few tears if they try to give you the brush off.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get me coat (just the one)

Have you tried the stage Ted? You know the one with the trapdoor and the rope. :D

Ask for £250 to allow you to employ someone to rub it down.

Just off the phone and they've offered to pay "within reason of course" for a 'handyman' to rub it all down.

So I've now got to find a reasonable handyman.

Last edited:
That's not a bad result.

Sending Ted to the scaffold that is. :)

Have you tried the stage Ted? You know the one with the trapdoor and the rope. :D

Just off the phone and they've offered to pay "within reason of course" for a 'handyman' to rub it all down.

I had one of those handymen once, well I would say more pragmatic than reasonable.

A touch left-field I know but - how advanced is the build at this stage? Might it be easier to remove the painted boards, reverse them, and start afresh? (I'm assuming only one side painted).

How about wrapping it and calling it an AMG shed? Tongue in cheek just in case the lounge gets upset ;-)

This thread is useless...without pictures.

Hard to bear me old mate.
Find your local trade paint supplier. The one pro-decorator types go to.

Chances are he may do a sort of barrier paint you can lob onto it and start afresh.

Alternatively - threaten to complain about marketing dept's inadequacies on twitter/facebook unless they come out and sort it out for you (with piccies) as a "good news story".

Job done

PS, why were you involved in this? Haven't you got Bette doing jobs like this now??? Tsk Tsk :)

A touch left-field I know but - how advanced is the build at this stage? Might it be easier to remove the painted boards, reverse them, and start afresh? (I'm assuming only one side painted).

Great idea but everything is halved-joints, glued and screwed. It is just a shed after all :rolleyes:

Watch this space.

PS, why were you involved in this? Haven't you got Bette doing jobs like this now??? Tsk Tsk :)

Bette is Catering and Cleansing. I'm Transport and Maintenance. We don't want a demarcation dispute do we?

Derek, I would forget the handy am and insist on Trapperjohns No. 2 option.

Paul

Derek I can't sleep due to worrying about your shed. You could use Annie Sloan's chalk paint, which sticks to anything allegedly, but it has to have a coat of soft wax applied on top when used externally. Just a thought.

renault12ts said:

This thread needs VIDEO. A live feed via web cam.

That way, we could all watch paint dry...

Option 2 was a stripper .....

PM Harry :)

Deleted - duplicate post.

If the first coat repels the second, wont it also repel rain and snow?

I think I'd take the offer of the free paint and leave it a year or two until the waxy finish dissipates, then give it another 2 or 3 coats at that stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom