Faulty Tyre Valve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
Hello All,

I have recently had new tyres fitted, I did have an issue with a slow leak in the rear tyre but after changing the valve it seemed fine, I was able to check and add pressure when required. Just recently I went to check the tyre pressure and found I could inflate all of them except one tyre. I used the service stations and my own electric tyre machine compressor, my pump will work on all the wheels except the rear tyre in question and same results when using the service station pumps.

The valve was fine when fitted and worked for several weeks I did give it a wash thinking something was lodged in there, I can push the pin and it will release air but it will not allow me to add air.

Any thoughts or possible causes. Tyre is not completely flat but has reached 20psi.

If you visit a tyre place, they can unscrew the valve in the wheel, and pop a new one in, I would guess cost would be very small, or go back to place that did it, they will not charge. I suspect the one way valve has failed. Tyre does not have to be removed, just valve inners changed

Lots more like this on you tube --you can buy a valve core removal tool and valve cores at any motor factors or tyre outlet. Two things I would recommend- take the weight of the car off the tyre in question using the jack before deflating and perhaps release around 50 percent of the tyre's operating pressure prior to core removal just to reduce the blast of air you get when you remove the core. Wear eye protection and have a means to re-inflate the tyre to hand- obviously. :wallbash:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom