Favorite car decade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dand

Car
C208 230K
Its a subject thats come up a few times at work so i was wondering what people thought on here.

With me its the 1980's, Touring cars looked there coolest then. The super saloon breed was really kickin off (M5 and 300E Hammer). Super cars were looking more extreme (Testarossa and Countach) and were cracking the 200mph (F40 and 959) barrier. Group B rally cars. Normal brands had executive models out (Vauxhall Senator, Citroen CX, Renault 25, Ford Granada) and everyone went mad with turbos.

Sixties into Seventies. Enough, and varied technology that was understandable and related to the brands, which were still largely undiluted and actually distinguishable from each other.
And the looks. Style mattered then - style, not 'corporate identity', but style.

Definitely the 1980s for me too.

'80s for me too.. from the Audi Quattro to Zastava 513. I wanna go back...

If you are looking at pure style, it has to be late fifties/early sixties American.

I think that goes for motorcycles too.

80's!!

AMG
W126
W123
R107
W124
190E

Definatly 80's for me too - for all the above reasons, plus some other interesting non-mercs.

Saying that, I also love the noughties. Some of the technology in the cars amaze me.

70's for motorbikes (first Jap 'Superbikes' - z1, CB's etc) but 80's for cars. I loved the GTi's of that era (yes, I know the first GTi came out in the early 70's!) but the 205 GTi and of course, Golf, were just the first time that real 'sports' cars were available to the masses that would go, stop and handle!

For the sheer beauty of the cars, thirties through to mid sixties. For the technical accomplishments and character, the eighties. For competence, today's cars, but why do they all have to be so ugly, over-stylised in the name of corporate identity and blinged up?

50's to early 60's italian stuff for me - beautiful proportions and just the right amount of shiny bits.

maserati-a6g-54-1.jpg

My recent experience of modern cars has not been good..

Ade

Depends

For pure spectacle unsilenced Can Am racers from the 60's/early 70's.

For Rallying it would be Group B from the 80's.

For Touring cars it's 80's again - RS500's SD1's, M3's etc.

For road cars it's now - C63/E65 please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom