Favourite ever sportsmen/women. Team sport or individual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven’t watched snooker for several years, but I enjoyed watching some of the Selby v Bingham semi. I actually appreciated Selby’s approach to the game, perhaps because I’m no longer an impatient youth. I thought his safety play was particularly impressive and clearly the result of lots of careful thought. After all, the game is called snooker, not hit and hope.

I haven’t watched snooker for several years, but I enjoyed watching some of the Selby v Bingham semi. I actually appreciated Selby’s approach to the game, perhaps because I’m no longer an impatient youth. I thought his safety play was particularly impressive and clearly the result of lots of careful thought. After all, the game is called snooker, not hit and hope.
I agree in part Tim. Tactically he is awesome, a proper grinder and defo one of the best around. But to spend over 3 minutes pondering on a shot and then just roll into the reds is bordering on bad sportsmanship. The ref had to warn him on one occasion.

There’s a reason the likes of A Higgins, White, O’ Sullivan and Trump draw in the crowds. and it’s not for safety play. 🥳

Selby won't beat many with his scoring, but will ultimately wear his opponent down. One particular frame yesterday evening he needed 5 snookers. I would say majority of most players on the circuit would concede the frame. It was a simple ploy to put Bingham out of his stride.

Good luck to those who like watching paint dry, then mr bore Selby is your man 🤣🤣

Williams and Higgins are very tactical aware but have a more interesting style than that of Mr bore.

Last edited:
I agree in part Tim. Tactically he is awesome, a proper grinder and defo one of the best around. But to spend over 3 minutes pondering on a shot and then just roll into the reds is bordering on bad sportsmanship. The ref had to warn him on one occasion.

There’s a reason the likes of A Higgins, White, O’ Sullivan and Trump draw in the crowds. and it’s not for safety play. 🥳
Remember Cliff Thorburn?

It’s interesting that we all have different ideas on what makes a good sports contest. Some are only interested in the final result (as long as it’s their favourite who wins), while others are more interested in how the result was achieved. And everything in between. If no goals means that a game of football must have been boring, why is the game so popular? If slow scoring is a turn off, why do millions around the world enjoy Test cricket? Of course we all want to see goals, runs and tries scored, we want to see tricky balls potted, we want to see record highs jumped. But very many of us are also enthralled by the techniques employed by the players we admire. The pin point ball control by Messi, Tendulkar’s timing of a cricket shot, the agility of Campese with the ball under his arm.

It‘s those sorts of skills that, for me, form an integral part of enjoying sport to the max. When great sportsmen face each other it doubles my enthusiasm. I’m not that interested in watching Nadal thrash a player ranked 268th in the world 6-0 6-0 6-0, I want to watch him going five sets against Federer, with the final result being less important.

That’s why I was enthralled watching “Mr Bore” with his gritty determination to win last night. Not giving up when needing 5 snookers is something to be admired, not chastised. Giving up is for losers- literally. Interestingly (well, as interesting as Steve Davis) I see that Selby’s average shot time was almost identical to Bingham’s, so what was the fuss about?

It’s interesting that we all have different ideas on what makes a good sports contest. Some are only interested in the final result (as long as it’s their favourite who wins), while others are more interested in how the result was achieved. And everything in between. If no goals means that a game of football must have been boring, why is the game so popular? If slow scoring is a turn off, why do millions around the world enjoy Test cricket? Of course we all want to see goals, runs and tries scored, we want to see tricky balls potted, we want to see record highs jumped. But very many of us are also enthralled by the techniques employed by the players we admire. The pin point ball control by Messi, Tendulkar’s timing of a cricket shot, the agility of Campese with the ball under his arm.

It‘s those sorts of skills that, for me, form an integral part of enjoying sport to the max. When great sportsmen face each other it doubles my enthusiasm. I’m not that interested in watching Nadal thrash a player ranked 268th in the world 6-0 6-0 6-0, I want to watch him going five sets against Federer, with the final result being less important.

That’s why I was enthralled watching “Mr Bore” with his gritty determination to win last night. Not giving up when needing 5 snookers is something to be admired, not chastised. Giving up is for losers- literally. Interestingly (well, as interesting as Steve Davis) I see that Selby’s average shot time was almost identical to Bingham’s, so what was the fuss about?
I personally understand the skill that goes into a game of snooker but it’s not something I’d sit and watch and I most certainly don’t play. I’m badly colour blind!!

....Interestingly (well, as interesting as Steve Davis) I see that Selby’s average shot time was almost identical to Bingham’s, so what was the fuss about?
In the final session yes. But not early on in the match.

Great post Tim and a fine example of a very well reasoned argument. 👏👏👏

I personally understand the skill that goes into a game of snooker but it’s not something I’d sit and watch and I most certainly don’t play.
I feel exactly the same about cricket. I played at school (very badly) so I understand how awesome the pros are. However, I’d never want to sit and watch either on TV or live in a stadium.

I also love to play chess, mostly with daughter or wife. But not really a spectator sport. I remember it being in the tele when I was a boy but as far as I’m aware it’s not televised nowadays.

I personally understand the skill that goes into a game of snooker but it’s not something I’d sit and watch and I most certainly don’t play. I’m badly colour blind!!
Ah, memories of “Whispering” Ted Lowe, "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." 😀

Ah, memories of “Whispering” Ted Lowe, "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." 😀
Stephen Hendry is fast becoming my fav recent commentator. Very fair, informative and doesn’t talk for talkings sake.

Phil Yates (AKA Akan Partridge) on ITV4 & Eurosport is embarrassing.

I
I feel exactly the same about cricket. I played at school (very badly) so I understand how awesome the pros are. However, I’d never want to sit and watch either on TV or live in a stadium.

I also love to play chess, mostly with daughter or wife. But not really a spectator sport. I remember it being in the tele when I was a boy but as far as I’m aware it’s not televised nowadays.
I can’t stand Cricket and I think it stems from my dad almost forcing us to play and watch it. Same with golf.

For me, watching sports is an oddity.
I love everything to do with cars but cannot stand to watch open wheel racing but I can watch historic car racing till the cows come home.

Since taking up cycling and competing in triathlons I’m now watching anything to do with peak physical fitness.

I had little black and white tv in my room when I was a kid. Even more pointless watching snooker on that one. 🤣🤣
Do you remember snooker on the radio?

In the final session yes. But not early on in the match.

Great post Tim and a fine example of a very well reasoned argument. 👏👏👏
Ah, I didn’t see the early sessions. But being a nerd and looking it up, I see that Selby is slightly faster throughout this year than Bingham - by a fraction of a second.

You’re too kind Ant.

(BTW, despite also being useless at cricket I can and often do sit and watch it all day. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many of my cricket heroes but Sobers and Gower have managed to elude me.)

Since taking up cycling and competing in triathlons I’m now watching anything to do with peak physical fitness.
I love watching top level triathlons - even the swimming part! My son is a keen cyclist and used to train with the British team, but he’s crap at swimming and running so had to leave them to it.

(BTW, despite also being useless at cricket I can and often do sit and watch it all day. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many of my cricket heroes but Sobers and Gower have managed to elude me.)
I’ve met Mike Gatting through my dads old cricket team.
He gave a speech at their annual dinner and dance and actually lived quite local to us. He brother Steve was more popular with us though.

I lad in my school who I was pally with was related to Alvin Kalacharran.

We’ve also had a few jolly boys outings to Lords as it’s nearby but I think that was more to do with posing and drinking that actually watching any cricket.

Have you met Flintoff? I really like the guy. His bully persona is just an act. His serious/sensitive side was revealed in a documentary about his Bulimia. Seems a really nice genuine guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom