Favourite ever sportsmen/women. Team sport or individual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love watching top level triathlons - even the swimming part! My son is a keen cyclist and used to train with the British team, but he’s crap at swimming and running so had to leave them to it.
I’m crap at the running and normally speed walk it and my transitions are terrible because I tend to have a gossip with the nearest fellow competitor.
Swimming is my event.

I’ve met Mike Gatting through my dads old cricket team.
He gave a speech at their annual dinner and dance and actually lived quite local to us. He brother Steve was more popular with us though.

I lad in my school who I was pally with was related to Alvin Kalacharran.

We’ve also had a few jolly boys outings to Lords as it’s nearby but I think that was more to do with posing and drinking that actually watching any cricket.
I bet you couldn’t get past Gatting to get to the pies!

Talking of food, I once had lunch with Denis Compton, Keith Miller (one of Australia’s finest ever all rounders) and Dennis Lille. Lots of alcohol (mostly consumed by Compton) and lots of great stories.

Have you met Flintoff? I really like the guy. His bully persona is just an act. His serious/sensitive side was revealed in a documentary about his Bulimia. Seems a really nice genuine guy.
Yes, I have been lucky enough to meet him briefly. He’s just as you say - he puts on an act for TV because that’s what people seem to want. Mind you, he’s a big guy so I wouldn’t want to upset him.

I bet you couldn’t get past Gatting to get to the pies!
🤣🤣 He had a trial for a goalkeeper at QPR but was told he was too short and fat!!
Imagine telling that to a wannabe these days.

Mr bore's cue action is rather annoying, it's how you win that makes all the difference for me.

Mr Bore would be better suited to paint drying cricket 🤣🤣.

Patrick Sercu - I saw him ride the Skol Six-Day event at Wembley Arena (it was known as the Empire Pool, Wembley back in the day), with Dutch hard man Peter Post. Sercu was the most elegant man I've ever seen on a bike, and fast?!? He had a silky, effortless style; riding on the track he looked like he was nipping down to the newsagent for a paper. You could spot when he was really trying - he turned his head slightly to the side (usually to watch his opponent disappear) - but other than that you'd never tell how hard he was pedalling.

Selby won't beat many with his scoring, but will ultimately wear his opponent down. One particular frame yesterday evening he needed 5 snookers. I would say majority of most players on the circuit would concede the frame. It was a simple ploy to put Bingham out of his stride.

Good luck to those who like watching paint dry, then mr bore Selby is your man 🤣🤣

Williams and Higgins are very tactical aware but have a more interesting style than that of Mr bore.
Watched the end of last nights session and I thought it was excellent.
I’ve never heard of either players.

Smile you sour looking grumpy git.

Turn milk sour he would sour Selby.

Like said in a previous post, it's the way you win that makes all the difference.

Smile you sour looking grumpy git.

Turn milk sour he would sour Selby.

Like said in a previous post, it's the way you win that makes all the difference.
Wow. I’m not keen on Selby but I Dinny dislike him to your extent.

The record books don’t rate a win. A World championship is a world championship. 🥳

Wow. I’m not keen on Selby but I Dinny dislike him to your extent.

The record books don’t rate a win. A World championship is a world championship. 🥳
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Can't stand the bland head on him👽👽 he needs to liven himself up a bit 🤣🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Can't stand the bland head on him👽👽 he needs to liven himself up a bit 🤣🤣
It’s called concentration. Most top sports people show the same level of apparent grumpiness when they’re competing. As Dennis Lillee once replied when I asked him why he always came across as a total sh1t on the cricket pitch but was actually a very amiable gentleman, “You don’t win at sport by being nice to people.”

Tough to choose, but some just have to be mentioned.
Michele Mouton
Jean Ragnotti
Miguel Indurain
Mathieu van der Poel
Irina Sidorkova
Ayrton Senna

It's called it's not what you do it's the way that you do it 😀😀😀👍😁

As you said most. Not all have the grim reaper look about them. I dread to think what he does back in the dressing room. Can't imagine him reading a book of jokes.

You can keep your grim looking, stale playing sportsman/women. Im more for the upbeat and joyous type 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

As you said most. Not all have the grim reaper look about them. I dread to think what he does back in the dressing room. Can't imagine him reading a book of jokes.

You can keep your grim looking, stale playing sportsman/women. Im more for the upbeat and joyous type 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
If I’m in the pool, gym on the bike or in a tri then it’s max concentration which most probably comes across as aloof, or miserable or downright rude.
After that though it’s a different story!! 🍺🍺

Can you give an example of a world class sportsperson that goes about their business grinning like a Cheshire Cat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom