Favourite glass/ bottle of Red.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
What is your favourite drop of red at the moment.

I've stumbled across a Rioja tonight and found it hard to not finish off the bottle. I think for the price its great value for money, flavour to me is really something. Now the dark cold nights are setting in. Just curious to what folks favourite drop of wine is. The one I purchased tonight goes brilliant with snacks, on its own, or with the one or two meat dishes available. Anyway I sunk the bottle all to my greedy self, and it done the trick rather nicely. I will be purchasing again very soon. I did also have a few crafty dark fruit ciders along the way to. But the wine really threw me for its cost and flavour. Your thoughts!

OP , if you are enjoying the Joven (young) Rioja I suggest you search out a Rioja 'Crianza' . Basically the same stuff just aged for 2 years , one in the cask and one year in the bottle.

Not going to get the wine snobs hearts pumping but a decent enough drop if you like the Joven :thumb:.

Trying to keep this 'well under ten quid', I think this wine from Waitrose is fantastic value for money if you like a full, flavourful red. Terri di Faiano Primitivo organic.

It's normal price is £10, but just keep an eye on, and is regularly £7.50. I usually buy half a dozen at that point, and keep it as a good table wine, one large glass 3 nights on the trot. Night 2 and 3 have given the wine chance to breathe so ate better than glass 1.

For me an Argentinian Malbec is my glass filler.
For special occasions and with the right food a Barolo is high on my list.
That said stumbled across a 2011 Nemea recently, partnered our chateaubriand rather nicely

McGuigan's Black Label
Black Stump
19 Crimes
Most (all?) Malbec.

For me an Argentinian Malbec is my glass filler.
For special occasions and with the right food a Barolo is high on my list.
That said stumbled across a 2011 Nemea recently, partnered our chateaubriand rather nicely
Was it a real Chateaubriand (fillet wrapped in cheaper meat (which is discarded after cooking) ) or was it what people call Chateaubriand these days i.e. a normal fillet steak ?

Some restaurants like to call fillet ‘Chateaubriand' to sound posh and charge more (for already expensive beef fillet).

I enjoy a fillet for the tenderness but is is probably that part of the animal with the least flavour.

Who said Barolo.....buy that man a drink - it was one of my favourites long before it became trendy!

My son has an air-conditioned wine cellar under his house. I’ve started laying down some of my own stuff there for drinking in a few years time. Nothing too posh but just investing in some good drinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Thunderbird suited my delicate palate back in the eighties.
Bouquet was slightly heady, strong flavours of wine, with a slightly astringent chemical finish.
Very handy for getting the (then) girlfriend slightly squiffy and in the mood for love 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

1633857147301.jpeg
68275468.jpg

Get some 'bucky down your neck my son !! :banana:

Was it a real Chateaubriand (fillet wrapped in cheaper meat (which is discarded after cooking) ) or was it what people call Chateaubriand these days i.e. a normal fillet steak
It was, especially prepared for us, chef pulled in some favours to get it in time for my wife's birthday dinner and very flavoursome it was! I must admit to sending the triple fried thick cut chips back as I prefer herbed new potatoes with mine.
Our sommelier apologised for not having a Barolo for us and decanted the Nemea, wonderful 😄

Red Thunderbird suited my delicate palate back in the eighties.
Bouquet was slightly heady, strong flavours of wine, with a slightly astringent chemical finish.
Haha 🤣

For anyone unfamiliar with Thunderbird, this site will provide valuable guidance both to Thunderbird itself and also to a number of worthy(?) alternatives including the aforementioned "Bucky":

Reactions: Ted
McGuigan's Black Label
Black Stump
19 Crimes
Most (all?) Malbec.
That McGuigan Black Label is a beautiful easy drinking wine, we buy it by the box and have yet to find anyone who dislikes it.

Mind you I’m a wine moron….

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom