Favourite glass/ bottle of Red.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On a Monday? You’re living the dream. We have to wait until Friday. 🥴

I wouldn't mind it's only me that likes it. Plus the one tonight is a cork top, so I'll have to finish it off!

Once I get the boy home from footy training and get the chance to taste it 🤦🤦😁

I wouldn't mind it's only me that likes it. Plus the one tonight is a cork top, so I'll have to finish it off!
Get yourself a Vacu Vin:

At least it gives you the opportunity to only drink part of the bottle o_O

Get yourself a Vacu Vin:

REPORTED. (For giving a man in need a reason to NOT finish the bottle)

It's a tough job,but someone needs to step up and see it through 👍💪

Personally prefer the flavour of the Montino Rioja over the Campo viejo Rioja. And it's £3.00 cheaper.

Tasting and testing over now until Friday at least lol.

As you like Rioja wines, I'd suggest giving this a try:

It doesn't follow the - pretty rigid - Spanish wine making rules and is a multi-region blend, but it's none the worse for that. It's excellent value (especially if you buy on the "mix six" deal at £7 a pop - most of my friends who have tasted it blind expected it to be around the £10-£12 price point or above) and I'd be astonished if you didn't like it.

As mentioned further up the thread, its also worth experimenting with wines that have a bit more age. Spanish red wines follow these naming categories:
  • Joven - young wine without ageing (this is what you've been drinking)
  • Crianza - aged for 1 year in oak barrels
  • Reserva - aged for at least 3 years in total with a minimum of 1 year in oak barrels
  • Gran Reserva - aged for a minimum of 5 years in total, with a minimum of 2 years in oak. Typically these wines only appear in above average vintages
I'd suggest something like this that won't break the bank but will give you a good idea of what a reasonably priced Reserva can be like:
You are absolutely right about The Guv'nor - my daily tipple and excellent value!

We rather enjoyed these
Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Get yourself a Vacu Vin:

I’ve had one of those going on for about 40 years....used it about 3 times;). I also have a top for bubbly bottles. My wife enjoys bubbly but will usually max out at 2 glasses and the resealer really works (unlike the urban myth of the teaspoon method).IMG_1382.JPG

I’ve had one of those going on for about 40 years....used it about 3 times;).
All joking aside, I do use the Vacu Vin, just never on the first bottle ;) It actually works really well and will keep an opened bottle that would otherwise spoil in good condition for at least two or three days.

In fact, I had one of the original white Vacu Vin's like in your photo - like yours it was about 40 years old - but the piston seal had deteriorated and I replaced it with one of the new generation examples a year or so ago. Combined with the new-style stopper (that clicks when you've created sufficient vacuum) it works much better.
I also have a top for bubbly bottles. My wife enjoys bubbly but will usually max out at 2 glasses and the resealer really works (unlike the urban myth of the teaspoon method).
I have a couple of those too and they're definitely invaluable if you (or yours) are partial to a bit of fizz.

^^
How do you keep a bottle 2-3 days😮 2-3 hours more like😂
My go to is Chateau Neuf du Pap or if available Wolf Blass yellow label

Here in Mikey Mansions, irrespective of the type of closure on a bottle of vine fruit-based beverage, the contents always seem to evaporate pretty rapidly. In the same way that any Pringles left in an opened tube mysteriously vanish into thin air. There may be a common denominator.......🤔

How do you keep a bottle 2-3 days😮
Easy. Quaff two bottles before deciding to open a third then realise that the desire for more isn't matched by the capacity to drink it all... 🤣

Our default is Wolf blass however due to brexit and /or COVID causing shortages we have been forced to experiment with 19 crimes and Barossa ink. We may have three favourites shortly.

Unfortunately we had to destroy ten bottles of wolf blass when they got overheated (35 degs) in the July heatwave, we keep wine in the garage and didn’t know about the effect heat had on it. I managed to save about 20 bottles by lowing them into the pit (steady 18 degs).
As our next door neighbour says, when our recycling get tipped into
the bin wagon it sound like a milk float overturning!

My favourites are Shiraz or Syrah for red and Chardonnay for white.

Many years ago was friendly with the son of a Spar shop owner. He got us in to a wine tasting event.
Knowing we would get smashed if we tried all on offer, I tried the cheapest & the most expensive on each table (each table represented a wine growing region).
Generally I preferred the cheapest on each table.
Is that an indication of my taste aged around 20?

Slightly o/t as it's white rather than red, but when I went to Greece for the first time and tried Retsina I found it very unpalatable, albeit very cheap.

I soon discovered (following advice) that it was only the first two bottles which tasted that way ..... from the third one onwards it was really rather nice.

from the third one onwards it was really rather nice.
I take it that the three bottles have to be consumed in one "sitting" for that positive effect to be experienced? :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom