Favourite Song of the Nation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Well now, this is a sad state of affairs. Winner will be announced at Brits 25 on February 9th. But the list to choose from?? :eek:

Heroes - David Bowie

We Are The Champions - Queen

Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush

Night Fever - Bee Gees

London Calling - The Clash

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division

That's Entertainment - The Jam

I Don't Want To Talk About It - Rod Stewart

Look of Love - ABC

Golden Brown - The Stranglers

True - Spandau Ballet

Careless Whisper - George Michael

Holding Back The Years - Simply Red

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel

Sacrifice - Elton John

Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack

Why - Annie Lennox

Fields of Gold - Sting

Kiss From A Rose - Seal

Wonderwall - Oasis

Angels - Robbie Williams

Yellow - Coldplay

Babylon - David Gray

Leave Right Now - Will Young

Dry Your Eyes - The Streets.

:eek: some good songs there - but the fave of the nation - I doubt it :crazy:

SEM said:
do we know who/how they got to this list????

I presume you've played pin the tail on the donkey ? Same concept, larger beast. ;) ;)

and where is Jive Bunny in this list, do they want us to take it seriously or not!

Yes there are some good songs there, but only good, nowhere near great. Where is the song that is voted top on almost all favourite charts, Bohemian Rapsody, where is Stairway to Heaven. I will certainly not be voting, but those holding the "election" will say it is the favourite song of the nation :crazy: , in their dreams :(

Geoff, the favourite song of the nation will change with every generation. The older we get the more apathetic we become about voting in music polls so the older songs will disappear.

There's nothing in that list by the Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Prodigy, The Undertones etc etc but that's hardly surprising as there are people out there who will have voted for acts like The Streets who have never even heard Stairway to Heaven.

As far as I know, The shortlist of 25 songs has been nominated by a panel made up of people in the music industry and the media and these songs have been selected to reflect 25 years of the Brits (which have hardly been a barometer for good taste) and will be voted on by Radio 2 listeners

There are some glaring omissions but do any of us really care?

Andy

'Comfortably Numb' by Pink Floyd - The greatest song of all time - i rest my case ! :rolleyes:

And its post '77

andy_k said:
British music since 1977 kind of rules it out :)

Andy

My mistake. I didn't read it carefully enough. I don't know if any of you saw the excellent series on C4 recently where some guy - forget his name - analysed various modern composers. The program about the Beatles was particularly interesting in that his opinion was that they were effectively the modern classical music. Classical music itself had basically died with the likes of Stockhausen giving up on harmonies and exploring dissonance. The Beatles then took harmony to a different level with stuff like Eleanor Rigby and I am the Walrus. This was way beyond the usual 3 chord trick. Now popular music seems to have reverted to simplistic rubbish again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom