Features of the W204 I miss.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sixpot

Car
C320 CDi Sport.
After reading a similar thread on the new E Class, it got me thinking...
...The volume is always too loud on the stereo when you first start the car. Very annoying having to turn it down every time you start.

No door opening warning (just like the new E Class)

Combi stalk, I just don't get on with it.

No outside temp display visible when you change the display in the cluster (They could of easily integrated this into the COMAND display)

No option to change the cluster km/h readout to MPH

No low temp (ice) warning.

No graphic equaliser option to fine tune the Harmon Kardon Audio.

Having to constantly press the # button to see longer mp3 track names (wouldn't be hard to scroll them? Like other marques do)

Getting the phone address book in COMAND to work by having to send contacts across as v cards from my phone, just plain crazy really! took me ages to do.

No illumination on the system volume/power button.

No illumination on the light switch surround.

Heated seats take ages to warm up compared to my previous BMW

Windows tend to steam up rather easily. (Checked for leaks- bone dry inside)

Steering wheel paddles, don't respond to inputs, therefore useless really! Wheel could also do with being a bit chunkier.

Rear parktonic would benefit from a graphic display (again as per BMW) on the COMAND screen, rather than 'led spotting' in the rear view mirror! It is also slow to react if you reverse a little to quickly.

I'm not knocking the car, (I do actually like it) although it doesn't sound like it! Just highlighting a few things I've noticed.
I'm sure I'm not the only one, and there is probably more things to mention!

I agree with most of these and it's frustrating BMW have them all covered off and MB don't. If only BMW made a M3 estate...

I also agree with most of the points you mention, but I still prefer my W204 to the competition.

Combi stalk, I just don't get on with it.
-- I always found the "easy to set" cruise control dangerous, but now it can be left in limit mode it is still irritating but safer. An option to disable the cruise control would be nice, and the garish speedo display when set.

No outside temp display visible when you change the display in the cluster (They could of easily integrated this into the COMAND display)
-- second that

No option to change the cluster km/h readout to MPH
-- I think that is a euro rule, but I have driven cars in the US that managed to just recalibrate the marker for the outer numbers into Km/h.

No low temp (ice) warning.
-- Blimey - glad you entioned that, I just assumed it would come up below 4 degrees or something like that.

Having to constantly press the # button to see longer mp3 track names (wouldn't be hard to scroll them? Like other marques do)
-- did not know that either

Rear parktonic would benefit from a graphic display (again as per BMW) on the COMAND screen, rather than 'led spotting' in the rear view mirror! It is also slow to react if you reverse a little to quickly.
-- Sound with beeps related to distance to object works well in VWs.

Lack of speed camera warnings winds me up a lot - but the built in sat-nav screen makes a good place to stick my Garmin :)

And the brightness of the central speedo LCD, the middle screen has an overall brightness option that works with the dash control, the central screen could do the same, or at least change colour scheme at night.

MB dealers and head office handing nav/ice bugs back and forth with no solution.

Combi Stalk for front wiper operation is a real pain to use.

My last car was a passat and had 6/7 increments on the intermittent wipe speed and everything could be adjusted without removing your hand from the wheel.

As the wiper on the MB is operated by twisting the end of the stalk you have to remove your hand from the wheel to operate it - and their are only really two intermittent wipe speeds (I know their is a rain sensor thing to set the speed, but it doesn't work very well).

To wipe the screen once when first setting off in a morning, you need to twist the control on and then move back off !

I love the car overall but the front wiper control is just bonkers (and a million miles behind the passat !)

To wipe the screen once when first setting off in a morning, you need to twist the control on and then move back off !

That's the case for the rear. For the front just push the wash/wipe one step in to get a single wipe.

I flashed headlights at other people number of times when switching between the cars and going back to Mercedes ;-) There's single stalk in SLK, too.

Reading this thread, and still with a bit of post-Christmas bah humbug, I have to ask, why don't you go and buy B*W repmobiles if MB are so inconvenient and badly designed?

(OK, I know there were some +ve points!!)

I love my C-Class, with or without its quirkiness - but then my last car was a Saab with the ignition switch in the centre console, so what do I know.................;)

HNY

Malcolm

Last edited:
Once you get use to the single stalk, everything else feels fussy; in my Audi Q7 the cruise control stalk was hidden behind the steering wheel and the rain sensing wipers were hilariously out of synch with the rain...

I agree about changing the kph to mpg..

Single stalks annoying but not the end if the world

I think park sensors are great!

Obc can be a bit weird. Don't think it's very accurate or as responsive as other cars I have owned.

Personally think the mpg is shocking on my c220 cdi sport. But love the drive!

Mbstarz said:
I agree about changing the kph to mpg.. Single stalks annoying but not the end if the world I think park sensors are great! Obc can be a bit weird. Don't think it's very accurate or as responsive as other cars I have owned. Personally think the mpg is shocking on my c220 cdi sport. But love the drive!

*Kph to mph I meant

I have to ask, why don't you go and buy B*W repmobiles if MB are so inconvenient and badly designed?

I would if they made a M3 estate. Until then I'm stuck with my c63, which I like but is not as well thought out as a BMW.

Having had a full range of cars, and my wife having a poxy Audi, which must have one of the most un ergonomic interiors out there, I think the W204 is pretty good. The cruise is easy, the single stalk is fine, the park tronic is all that is required, having it behind for reversing is pretty good, who looks forward when going back??!! and the phone use has got to be better than any thing else I have had in the past... The W204 isn't particularly plush, and doesn't appear on the surface to be full of tech, but it does everything very very well..

Mines coming up to 5 years old now 100k and hasn't missed a beat, more than I can say from the Range Rover, Audi, Mazdas, BMW's I have had in the past..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom