Federation of Master Builders (FMB)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
What a joke.

The cowboy builder on Channel 5, prosecuted for shoddy work, forms a new company and immediately gets FMB registration.

The senior FMB guy interviewed by Dom says "er, um er, um er you've clearly found some issues with our processes."

A trade body to give you confidence in selecting a quality builder - yeah right.

It's just a builders club funded by subscription (IMO of course).

Beware :devil:.

Was not Dom done for something dodgy on the past???

Never bothered joining for that reason - no quality checks, just want a subscription.
Always chose your builder on recommendation

Subscription Subscription Subscription

That is what makes them all exist...........

Considerate Constructors, a bunch of retired do gooders who have no idea about the real world of trying to make a job pay!!!

But hey they give you points for having fruit in a vending machine:wallbash:

Ive been a sparky for over 20 years and spent years at college training and came out of my time with City & Guilds papers. Since a couple of years ago more and more large sites require you to have a CSCS/ECS Joint Industry Board card so I applied to the JIB and was told my C&G is no longer accepted and I needed to have an NVQ3 :doh: so the only way round it was to pay £800 for someone to come and have a look at my work on 3 sites,ask me questions and I had to fill out a logbook of previous jobs id completed.

Went to JIB in Sidcup to get a fastrack card and they wanted another £80 to process it the same day or wait 2 months for it to be delivered :mad:

Yet the young lads on the firm come out of their time with an NVQ and 3 years experiance of being a boy and can get a card straight away :wallbash: its a friggin joke!

When I recommend a building contractor to a client I have completed my research on the contractor which includes.

Bank Reference.
Yearly turnover.
Number of direct employees.
Past Client refrences.

Being a member of the FMB does not concern me, what does is his last project, which I then visit and interview the client. I also require to view his insurance details.

If I am satisfied with the above I include his name on a tender list for the project.

I have a slection of contractors built up over a number of years that I know can produce good quality work on time and within budget.

Just my professional advice on the topic, take it or leave it.

Completed a tender once which listed the weightings for which the tender would be assessed. There was about 60% for Health & safety but only 5% on quality of work. Just about says it all

Watchdog exposed Federation of Master Builders over a decade ago.Evaluator was caught on tape saying "Only purpose of the joining the Federation is that it allows you to increase prices by 20%"

What a joke.

The cowboy builder on Channel 5, prosecuted for shoddy work, forms a new company and immediately gets FMB registration.

The senior FMB guy interviewed by Dom says "er, um er, um er you've clearly found some issues with our processes."

A trade body to give you confidence in selecting a quality builder - yeah right.

It's just a builders club funded by subscription (IMO of course).

Beware :devil:.

So the FMB does for builders does what the NHBC does for building companies.

FMB really stands for f*** my boots, just about sums up this type of organisation imo

Completed a tender once which listed the weightings for which the tender would be assessed. There was about 60% for Health & safety but only 5% on quality of work. Just about says it all

Presumably for a local authority, civil service or some other statutory body

So the FMB does for builders does what the NHBC does for building companies.
Not sure thats totally fair, NHBC does give you something of a safety net when you buy a new house

Presumably for a local authority, civil service or some other statutory body

Just about stevie. Wifey works for local council who have/are contracting out every service (except executive positions). The cemetry duties went out to contractors and there is now at times a bit of a backlog at local undertakers as these contractors will only did two graves a day. You'd think there was some kind of statute whereby the services supplied should be at least equal to previous council services

............ NHBC does give you something of a safety net when you buy a new house

Maybe for some buyers, they were no help to us in any of the problems we had when we bought our house new in 2000.

1. Shower tray in en-suite not sealed, damage caused to hall ceiling

2. Faults on socket circuit, no power to 1st floor

3. Bath overflow not connected, flooding and damage to lounge ceiling, 2 stud walls & laminate flooring throughout ground floor

4. Noise from vibration of badly fitted central heating pipes

5. Stained brickwork

6. Garage floor below driveway level, causing flooding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom