FedEx, trying to claim back VAT 10 weeks after Delivery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
65 Plate E350 CDI Convertible, 2006 CLS 55 AMG, 1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
Hi Guys,
Not being completely up to speed with the new changes with Brexit etc. I am after a bit of advice from learned.
May 8th this year I bought a new Seat Pump for my CLS from Thessalonika in Greece (new old stock) off of E-bay.
I payed via Paypal immediately and it arrived in a little over 24hrs I amazed at the service.
10 plus weeks on I have received an invoice for said Pump from FedEx for £72.
This £72.62 consists of three lines on the invoice - £48.62 VT (VAT Type) - £20.00 DPC (Deferred Processing Fee) - £4.00 VAT.
I am very surprised about this invoice especially so long after paying and recieving the goods, can anyone explain to me whats going on?
Cheers

Just got a similar invoice in from TNT for a shipment received in January for a very small amount (£2)!
Thing is we already paid the Duty/VAT invoice a while back.

Not a lot to do if the shipment was received and the amounts were paid by the carrier to HMRC.

I'd just pay it and move on as trying to dispute it will cost a lot of time and headaches.

If the order total was over £135 you are liable for VAT, import duty (possibly), and a 'handling fee' (which is what FedEx etc. charge you for collecting the money due and passing it on to HMRC).

Under £135 and you should pay UK VAT to the vendor, who passes it on to HMRC.

Have a read here:

I'm just surprised they delivered it without collecting the VAT, duty and fees in advance. I haven't used FedEx for stuff like this, but certainly DHL usually ping an email with the invoice for payment before they'll even think about delivering the goods.

Parcel Force always send us an inoice to pay before they will deliver.

Fedex, UPS, TNT & DHL always just send us an invoice later but we have accounts with them all.

Once paid thousands in duty for "tuners" that had been incorrectly classified as a "tuner" consumer product, they were parts for inside a tuner.
Never ever got the duty back from HMRC despite trying.

Parcel Force always send us an inoice to pay before they will deliver.

Fedex, UPS, TNT & DHL always just send us an invoice later but we have accounts with them all.

Historically (pre-Brexit) I've always had to pay charges before delivery, with everyone. I think this is changing now simply because of the volume of transactions - it's easier to deliver the parcel as normal and recover the charges separately. Mrs BTB got a bill from Parcelforce a couple of days ago relating to a delivery the week before. The box actually had a label on it with 'Hold for outstanding charges', or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom