Feedback on my Site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26606

Hi guys,

following on from the above thread, would appreciate any feedback you guys have from the site... any pics not loading etc etc..

Its a painstaking process updating my current site (will be revamping soon) so would appreciate if you could let me know if something isnt working!

Thanks

Jay

Looking good so far mate:D Have noticed when clicking on the cars to view more piccys of them it just returns to the top of the page :confused: (Im using firefox by the way).Maybe the links at the top of the page for home,showroom,locatoin etc could do with being bigger or better still to the left of the page IMO :D

Ps. Good luck.

Hi Jay,

www.mercland.com looks great.

I have a mac and use several browsers. Internet explorer works fine, can't find any pages or images that don't load etc. But both Firefox and Safari don't load the individual pages on each of your cars from the showroom page. ie the page with all other picts of the cars.

Don't know why that should be.

Cars look great.

Simon

Looks good, clean and simple!
(many sites get carried away with blinking graphics, loud and brash marketing messages)

Though I would use http://maps.google.co.uk for your maps instead of the solution you used, purely as google maps don't have any ads.
so it becomes http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=CV10+9JD&om=1&ll=52.524466,-1.511167&spn=0.003675,0.011984

Other suggestions I can offer, prices might look nice in white (like your map outlines) and it would be nice to have a higher resolution image to see the car in more detail and or other views of the car, back, 3 quarter, front, interior etc

/EDIT: sorry I just read the Google Maps terms and conditions only for personal use

Last edited:
I'm running Safari on OS 10.4.6 and everything works as it should for me.

Pontoneer said:
Ditto. Lookin' good...

Its all good .... I like the little BMW pictures you have dotted about ;) :devil:

S.

Nice to see an uncluttered web site.. 10/10
A piccy and a price... if they are interested in that, then the description follows...

Like it! keep it simple, and quick loading

SEM said:
Nice to see an uncluttered web site.. 10/10
A piccy and a price... if they are interested in that, then the description follows...

Like it! keep it simple, and quick loading

As above, good clean site, like the gallery arrangement, you could do with a LHS nav bar on the main page rather than the text links at the top of the home page to make navigation more obvious.

Keep up the good work...:cool:

Hi, I do this for a living (web developer). Firstly, its actually a nice little site. Much better to try and do things simple and the site is easy to navigate and has restrained use of colours.

From a design point of view I would experiment with a bit of paddign around your strap line and main navigation. It looks a little cramped at the moment.

The coding is a little poor, but thats normal to be honest and its by no means the worst I've seen. Couple of things though. The popups arent working on Firefox because its using a Microsoft proprietory javascript command called showModalDialog. Firefox doesnt recognise this as its not part of the W3C spec. There are tons of cross browser scripts you can use, but if you get stuck give me a shout and I'll send one over to you.
Pontoneer said:

hhmm, are you seeing the gallery popups when you click on a car? As far as I know safari doesnt support that javascript function either.

Secondly, your actual HTML text isnt very semantic at the moment. I'm not going to lecture you on web standards, CSS, XHTML etc as to be honest unless you want to be a web developer rather than operate a Car business its probably not worth your time learning it. However, there are a few things you can do that will help your site to be spidered by search engines. Your page title should be more concise and lose the :: from the showroom page. Basically this is the first port of call for a search engine to match phrases that users are typing in....and 'mercland.com/' is unlikely to get you many matches. After that, you should use <h1> tags for the main page title and then, on your showroom page <h2> for each car title. Again, importance is placed on the content of these in a heirachrchal manner, and at the moment your document doesnt have any. There are other things, such as ditching the framed forwarding and checking that the site can be navigated without the use of a mouse etc, but for now I'd concentrate on getting the popups working on firefox (which is a hugely popular browser now) and go through your code to make sure things are designated as titles where appropriate. Commercially they are the two most important things as you will only ever have limited success if your site is invisible to search engines and then people with firefox cant view the nice big pics of your cars.

Overall though good job :)

Last edited:
Jay, failing on Opera (8.54) too. As sagalout says, you need to use a standard JavaScript popup function, or ideally, open the vehicle in a new page, rather than a popup.

Sample popup code:
Code:
var popUpWin=0;
var w = 550, h = 340;
function popUpWindow(URLStr) {
	if(popUpWin)
	{
		if(!popUpWin.closed) popUpWin.close();
	}
	w = screen.Width;
	h = screen.Height;
	var popW = 560, popH = 600;
	var leftPos = (w-popW)/2, topPos = (h-popH)/2;
	popUpWin = window.open(URLStr, 'popUpWin', 'scrollbars=yes,width='+popW+',height='+popH+',left='+leftPos+', top='+topPos+'');
}

Called with:
Code:
<a href="javascript:popUpWindow('TCpopup.cfm');">Car Details</a>

With OSX 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3.1 (v312.3.1), everything works just fine, including gallery pop ups. Good clean site, quick and to the point.

sagalout said:
hhmm, are you seeing the gallery popups when you click on a car? As far as I know safari doesnt support that javascript function either.

Yes , when I clicked on a car , I got the gallery popping up and was then able to click on each thumbnail to view the pics .

I'm running Safari 2.0.3 if it makes any difference , I tried Firefox but found it slower on every site I tried , used to use IE but as a matter of principle have managed to eradicate Microsoft stuff from my Mac now

I liked the W126 560SEL - nice car , but my GF would kill me if I brought another home :)

Last edited:
Site looks good to me and you have some very nice cars in stock.

I don't know if this is just me but why do you put "ono" next to the prices ?

To me this is a little bit "ad in the paper / autotrader - go on mate make me an offer".

I would have thought with the cars that you are selling you are trying to place yourself as an established prestige motor dealership and as such, the price is the price - everyone knows that a bit of haggling will probably take place at sales time, but I think "ono" cheapens your site a little.

Sorry if this offends, but you did ask :eek: .

Stuart

Ok

- Have replaced the map to google... thanks a lot
- Have removed ono's. (the reason i had these is i copied the ads that are going in autotrader)
- E320 CDI Estate is an amazing car, valeting in progress, its much quicker than any other merc ive ever driven!
- Popups, Sagalout/Flyer, if i send you the page of code by email, could you help me?? Basically a friend built this site for me for nothing, he only showed me how to update, I have no clue when it comes to the rest of the coding.. A seperate page sounds good...

Thanks so much for all the help!

Jay

Last edited:
jaymanek said:
- Popups, Sagalout/Flyer, if i send you the page of code by email, could you help me?? Basically a friend built this site for me for nothing, he only showed me how to update, I have no clue when it comes to the rest of the coding.. A seperate page sounds good...
Replied by PM; but to add that it might be better to stay with popups unless/until you go down the database route. If you need some help with actually updating the file, PM me with your FTP details and I'll do it for you :)

For the second time of asking, nice site and the best of luck with your new venture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom